Shwachman Surprise

For the most part, we sail along in life feeling pretty normal, ya know, all things considered, when I'm not reflecting or thinking too hard.  Anywhoooooo, yesterday, we were working on our little Christmas in April project, tying a quilt and making some other little things.  We had another great family join us and the kids divided up amongst the two projects. 

Spencer, because he is so awesome, joined my friend and I at the quilt.  It was tough getting those needles in and out of the fabric.  For Spencer, it was nearly impossible!  He actually knows how to quilt, the kids and I have made several of them in days gone by but things have changed I didn't realize it until last night.

One common problem for SDS kids is that they don't regulate their body temperature very well.  This can cause overheating problems which can get serious.  All of my kids have gone through these periods especially when they were younger that their faces would get so red and flushed, beat red!  Sam is in that phase right now.  He can't sweat and in the summer when he is playing outside, he has to be really careful to take lots of breaks to try to cool down.  It seems that when that phase subsides, they become soggy!  They have an over abundance of moisture on their skin even in the dead of winter when all they have on are shorts. 

That was Spencer's issue last night, too soggy.  His hands were so full of moisture he couldn't grasp the needle to get it down through the fabric or back up.  It was one of those moments when inside, my heart did flip flops as it sunk to the bottom of my stomach. We both knew as we looked at each other that SDS was wreaking havoc again!!!  He felt bad and later in the night, apologized for not doing a good job.  He did an awesome job and I felt bad that he felt bad.  He never complained and made a really big effort to be helpful.  I think he was partly embarrassed as well. 

It's weird how random things can really weigh you down when you aren't expecting it. 

Comments

Popular Posts