Is that a problem?
I have alluded to the fact that my kids struggle with school. It's been the age old problem in our house. My solution for Shelbie's struggle was to home school through Junior High and some of High School, then she finished her senior year on home bound Studies. It worked but wasn't easy for either one of us.
Spencer is blowing it royally! His GPA is probably around 2.2 but honestly, I'm afraid to look. It could be higher, maybe lower. I care, I really care but it's more complex than what meets the eye. He is so smart but he is so tired of being sick, seeing Shelbie sick, and watching Sam with his struggles that he has a hard time understanding the importance of school right now. He can't see beyond his disease. He can't see that he might possibly have a very long life, longer than he is planning that's for sure. I have tried everything to convey feelings of hope in his future. He just isn't there yet and it's really sad to watch. Then there's the fact that I am only one person and can only do so much and making sure he did his 4 pages of geometry is just not on my list of important things to do. At the end of the day, I am only making sure he felt loved, made others feel loved, made good moral choices and finds something to be grateful for.
He has however, shown a great deal more spiritual maturity in the past few weeks than I have seen from him so maybe the trade off is okay. He may stink at book work right now, but he his learning far more valuable things about life and God. So, what's a mom to do?
Then there's Sam. Bless his little tender heart. Of all my kids, he struggles the most with school. It doesn't help that he has a learning disability Dyscalculia. Two months ago, he tested in the 99th percentile for perception yet below the 5th percentile for processing. The Psychologist was perplexed at such a combination saying, "It must be very difficult to be Sam." He was so excited tonight to play a new math game on the computer yet he didn't know any of the answers to the simple math facts. I could tell he was trying so hard to know the answers but it just doesn't compute like it should but he stuck with it. I am really worried about him starting Junior High in the fall. The harder school work gets, the more he is going to fall behind and I don't want to see another one of my kids give up.
In this country, school is treated as the most important thing for a child to succeed at. The success of their future depends on it. There's more to life than solving mathematical problems. Finding 'x' is important but it just so happens our 'x' to solve is different from most. Is that a problem?
Spencer is blowing it royally! His GPA is probably around 2.2 but honestly, I'm afraid to look. It could be higher, maybe lower. I care, I really care but it's more complex than what meets the eye. He is so smart but he is so tired of being sick, seeing Shelbie sick, and watching Sam with his struggles that he has a hard time understanding the importance of school right now. He can't see beyond his disease. He can't see that he might possibly have a very long life, longer than he is planning that's for sure. I have tried everything to convey feelings of hope in his future. He just isn't there yet and it's really sad to watch. Then there's the fact that I am only one person and can only do so much and making sure he did his 4 pages of geometry is just not on my list of important things to do. At the end of the day, I am only making sure he felt loved, made others feel loved, made good moral choices and finds something to be grateful for.
He has however, shown a great deal more spiritual maturity in the past few weeks than I have seen from him so maybe the trade off is okay. He may stink at book work right now, but he his learning far more valuable things about life and God. So, what's a mom to do?
Then there's Sam. Bless his little tender heart. Of all my kids, he struggles the most with school. It doesn't help that he has a learning disability Dyscalculia. Two months ago, he tested in the 99th percentile for perception yet below the 5th percentile for processing. The Psychologist was perplexed at such a combination saying, "It must be very difficult to be Sam." He was so excited tonight to play a new math game on the computer yet he didn't know any of the answers to the simple math facts. I could tell he was trying so hard to know the answers but it just doesn't compute like it should but he stuck with it. I am really worried about him starting Junior High in the fall. The harder school work gets, the more he is going to fall behind and I don't want to see another one of my kids give up.
In this country, school is treated as the most important thing for a child to succeed at. The success of their future depends on it. There's more to life than solving mathematical problems. Finding 'x' is important but it just so happens our 'x' to solve is different from most. Is that a problem?
Comments
Post a Comment