Chemo Week 3

We are gearing up for round 3 of chemo.  I have mixed feelings on this eve.  Part of me feels hopeful that her counts continue to raise but there is also a part that is nervous that they have dropped.  Obviously, there is no point in worrying, only 12 hours until it all starts again.  I think things will be the same as last week.  They will just sedate her as soon as we get there and she will probably sleep until Friday sometime so that's a good thing if she can sleep through the nasty side effects.  They did mention that with each infusion she should be able to manage things better because her body won't be fighting so hard against the foreign substance being pumped into her body.  Here's hoping that is the case.

Shelbie has had a pretty good week.  She still runs a fever off and on for unexplained reasons along with a nagging headache and discomfort in her arm.  We have eliminated all adhesive- everything but still she has hives so I have no idea what is going on.  I really don't think that she will be able to keep this PICC in for the full 97 days.  I think we will have to pull it after her last treatment.  Her arm is in such bad shape and no amount of Benedryl or Xyzal gives her relief anymore.  A sweet friend crocheted a 'bandage' that wraps tightly around her arm so that has been helpful to keep things snug.  We will just have to keep trying things to bring as much relief as possible. 

Comments

  1. Good luck tomorrow.

    I'm confused. Why does she have to keep the PICC line even after the chemo is over? That's awful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryanna, They want her to keep the PICC in because she has a 4 week break after this group of chemo. If there is no improvement over the 4 week break then she will have another 4 weeks of chemo. Plus, her veins are so small from earlier chemo treatments and now have a lot of scar tissue so the weekly or bi weekly blood draws were near impossible. The PICC makes it easier...we'll see.. Crazy huh?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts