The moment that changed my life
My life has been a series of punctuated moments. Each one, for good or for bad, changed me. Each. One.
To me, life happens in moments, not on a continuum of time. Just one moment...then the next. I think it changed to this format of time passing the day my kids were diagnosed with Shwachman Diamond Syndrome. That news seared every horrible emotion on my heart like a brand that will always define me in some way.
In a split second, hardly a conscious thought, I knew that life was fleeting and uncertain and years and years of planning dreams for the future was boiled down, in that instant, to just a moment. All I knew for sure, was that I had this moment, one moment left with my kids.
A couple of years ago, I saw this poem by Gwendolyn Brooks- Exhaust the little moment.
It was the phrase I had been searching for to explain how my life had changed.
Without a doubt, we have learned to exhaust the moments we have. We cram a lot of living into one day. There is hardly a wasted moment. Even the moments that are full of sadness and sorrow, we feel deeply and reverently and it is imprinted on the fragments left of my heart.
Every moment I have...changes my life.
To me, life happens in moments, not on a continuum of time. Just one moment...then the next. I think it changed to this format of time passing the day my kids were diagnosed with Shwachman Diamond Syndrome. That news seared every horrible emotion on my heart like a brand that will always define me in some way.
In a split second, hardly a conscious thought, I knew that life was fleeting and uncertain and years and years of planning dreams for the future was boiled down, in that instant, to just a moment. All I knew for sure, was that I had this moment, one moment left with my kids.
A couple of years ago, I saw this poem by Gwendolyn Brooks- Exhaust the little moment.
It was the phrase I had been searching for to explain how my life had changed.
Without a doubt, we have learned to exhaust the moments we have. We cram a lot of living into one day. There is hardly a wasted moment. Even the moments that are full of sadness and sorrow, we feel deeply and reverently and it is imprinted on the fragments left of my heart.
Every moment I have...changes my life.

Comments
Post a Comment