Closing a chapter
Apparently, we are in a life cycle of change and you know how much I love change...! Bleh.
Sam got his drivers license yesterday. I am proud of him for being patient while he drove 'Miss Daisy' around for the past 7 months. I will admit, it was nice having a chauffeur. He has done a lot better than I thought he would and I think, he is probably my best driver out of the three.
He inherits the very old Subaru, over 20 years old... that has been sufficiently broken in by two other teen drivers in our family. Shelbie totaled it in grade 11 and ran it into a dumpster a few weeks after that. Spencer had his hay day in church parking lots spinning cookies and running into telephone poles and curbs that mashed up the front end...again!
So, now it's Sam's turn to see how he can add his legacy!
When I took him to his dad's to pick up the car to take his test in, I had no idea it was in such rough shape! Those floor boards!!! I couldn't stop laughing. Before long, this kid is going to be Fred Flintstoning his way through town! Not to mention, he could barely get the thing started. It was sputtering and smoking before the engine revved up! We couldn't stop laughing! I said to Sam, "Whatever you do, don't turn the car off during your test..."
When Sam was taking his test, I was riding in the back seat. The teacher wasn't too sure I should be coming along because he thought it would make Sam nervous but Sam approved of my attendance. The teacher kept making small talk and referring to this car as the 'family car'. I didn't correct him, somehow, the redneck references sort of fit but there was a prouder side of me that was like..."As if I would be caught dead riding in this piece all day!"
When he directed Sam onto the highway, the car started rattling, the steering wheel was shaking and I think I saw smoke smoldering it's way out from the hood. The car was struggling to reach 50 mph, let alone 65! 5 seconds into that, the teacher said, "Let's just take this next exit and head back to town." Bahahahahaha...good idea!
Despite the crazy car, Sam passed with flying colors, 100%! The teacher complimented Sam on his driving skills and said he must have had a great teacher. Then, he turned to me and said,"You taught him?"
"Yes."
"Where are you from? Here?"
"Nope, I'm from Canada."
"Oh...that explains it. The best students I have had are from Canada, not locals."
With that, he signed off on the paperwork and got out. The stupid seatbelt didn't retract and it followed him out the car so he stands there, the seatbelt stretched out to 4' beyond the car. He looked a little puzzled, then through it on the seat!
I got in the passenger seat and Sam proceeded to back the wrong way out of an angle parking stall, just missing the parked car behind us and slipped into the pharmacy drive through 20 feet away to get our order! I could feel the teacher wanting to chase us down and tear up that perfect score! It was the weirdest half hour of my life!
Anyways, that was the end of driving Sam to school and home, the gym, running his errands for him. It was the end of all the great talks we've had on our travels around town. I will miss the little bits of time we got to spend together. Independence is the next chapter for him...Sad to say goodbye.
His dad was talking about having Shelbie buy a new car with her own money and giving her car to Sam. NOOOOO WAAAAYYYYY! This Subaru barely gets to 50 miles an hour, and looks like crap...it will keep him humble! Why give a 16 year old a car that actually runs and looks somewhat decent? Besides, there are a lot of memories in the cracks and creases of that car...he needs to enjoy the legacy he has been given!
Sam got his drivers license yesterday. I am proud of him for being patient while he drove 'Miss Daisy' around for the past 7 months. I will admit, it was nice having a chauffeur. He has done a lot better than I thought he would and I think, he is probably my best driver out of the three.
He inherits the very old Subaru, over 20 years old... that has been sufficiently broken in by two other teen drivers in our family. Shelbie totaled it in grade 11 and ran it into a dumpster a few weeks after that. Spencer had his hay day in church parking lots spinning cookies and running into telephone poles and curbs that mashed up the front end...again!
So, now it's Sam's turn to see how he can add his legacy!
When I took him to his dad's to pick up the car to take his test in, I had no idea it was in such rough shape! Those floor boards!!! I couldn't stop laughing. Before long, this kid is going to be Fred Flintstoning his way through town! Not to mention, he could barely get the thing started. It was sputtering and smoking before the engine revved up! We couldn't stop laughing! I said to Sam, "Whatever you do, don't turn the car off during your test..."
When Sam was taking his test, I was riding in the back seat. The teacher wasn't too sure I should be coming along because he thought it would make Sam nervous but Sam approved of my attendance. The teacher kept making small talk and referring to this car as the 'family car'. I didn't correct him, somehow, the redneck references sort of fit but there was a prouder side of me that was like..."As if I would be caught dead riding in this piece all day!"
When he directed Sam onto the highway, the car started rattling, the steering wheel was shaking and I think I saw smoke smoldering it's way out from the hood. The car was struggling to reach 50 mph, let alone 65! 5 seconds into that, the teacher said, "Let's just take this next exit and head back to town." Bahahahahaha...good idea!
Despite the crazy car, Sam passed with flying colors, 100%! The teacher complimented Sam on his driving skills and said he must have had a great teacher. Then, he turned to me and said,"You taught him?"
"Yes."
"Where are you from? Here?"
"Nope, I'm from Canada."
"Oh...that explains it. The best students I have had are from Canada, not locals."
With that, he signed off on the paperwork and got out. The stupid seatbelt didn't retract and it followed him out the car so he stands there, the seatbelt stretched out to 4' beyond the car. He looked a little puzzled, then through it on the seat!
I got in the passenger seat and Sam proceeded to back the wrong way out of an angle parking stall, just missing the parked car behind us and slipped into the pharmacy drive through 20 feet away to get our order! I could feel the teacher wanting to chase us down and tear up that perfect score! It was the weirdest half hour of my life!
Anyways, that was the end of driving Sam to school and home, the gym, running his errands for him. It was the end of all the great talks we've had on our travels around town. I will miss the little bits of time we got to spend together. Independence is the next chapter for him...Sad to say goodbye.
His dad was talking about having Shelbie buy a new car with her own money and giving her car to Sam. NOOOOO WAAAAYYYYY! This Subaru barely gets to 50 miles an hour, and looks like crap...it will keep him humble! Why give a 16 year old a car that actually runs and looks somewhat decent? Besides, there are a lot of memories in the cracks and creases of that car...he needs to enjoy the legacy he has been given!
Comments
Post a Comment