Thoughts on death

I know it's kind of a dark subject to be addressing but I have observed some interesting things about death and the dying process over the last week as I sit by my friend's bed and help her to find some comfort and peace. 

I can think of no holier place to be than by the side of a dying person. There are sweet moments when the world of spirits beyond meshes with ours.  You can feel it.  You can feel a stillness in the room that is engulfing.  You can see a distance and light in the eyes of one moving on.  Reverence abounds and you hardly want to move or blink your eye for fear of dulling the moment.  You want to lean over and whisper in her ear, "It's okay, just go, they're waiting for you and we will see you in no time." But instead, you watch the physical body take a natural course of action to close down for this lifetime. 

The shutting down part is not pleasant.  It is a helpless feeling and there is not enough morphine in the world to take away that struggle; the strain and distress that takes place because of the tugging of two worlds.  She drifts back and forth and in awe, you watch this dance that could only be orchestrated by God. 

I hope when I die, when my kids die, it will be a sacred experience, meditative, without worry or fear.  I hope I will be prepared whether I go first or my kids.  I hope I will be prepared to leave this earth for greater adventures. I know my friend is ready, just waiting for her body to catch up and complete it's process so she can go. 
Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts