Strange Coincidence
Hmmm, so where do you stand on the whole issue of coincidence? Do you think most things are just that, coincidence or just a random incidence with no meaning at all? Happenstance?
I don't think that things just happen because... I think every circumstance, every person you meet is orchestrated with a higher purpose in mind. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I am overthinking what happened to us this afternoon.
It has been a long a very emotional day with the funeral of my friend. Finally, after rushing home to greet the kids after school, I grabbed Spencer and headed to the grocery store. Our purpose in the trip was to get some protein powder for Spencer who is still having problems with his muscles. We have been to the doctors countless times over the past three years about the same problem and no one can seem to grasp what is going on. He works out at the gym and then can't use his muscles for weeks afterwards. The pain is excruciating. He worked out on Saturday and today, he can't straighten his arms, no exaggeration. We were thinking that maybe some extra protein would help him recover faster.
As soon as we get in the door of the store, I see my sister's best friend. They moved down here from Calgary a couple of years ago and I see her off and on and we say "Hi". Well, today she was telling me that they will probably have to move back to Canada because her son who is Spencer's age is in the process of being diagnosed with a genetic muscle problem and the medical bills will be too big to manage down here.
I inquired about the problems her son was having, how they found a doctor to make the diagnosis so quickly. Her son just had a muscle biopsy a week ago to confirm the diagnosis. I was telling her about Spencer's muscle problems and their stories are nearly identical!! I was floored, speechless, scared. Her son's issues just recently progressed to paralysis in his limbs that comes and goes. Spencer isn't to that point yet and maybe it's not the same thing at all but that would be some amazing coincidence! Everything else is the same, weakness and pain after exertion that lasts for weeks at a time and then subsides. Feeling weaker instead of stronger when working out...it's all the same stuff we've been complaining to doctors about. Her son even had the exact same blood test our doctor ran on Spencer just three weeks ago!!!
His levels came back astonishingly high and Spencer's were normal but she said that they tested him when he was having the muscle pain but when they retested when the pain from working out was gone, it was normal. That is what happens with the disease her son possibly has, it comes and goes. Spencer's test was done two days after the pain had subsided and it was within normal limits.
I feel strongly that this meeting was totally orchestrated by God and it is just the information I need to get Spencer to the right specialist and make sure we aren't missing anything. He is definitely not normal and it's been eating away at me for so long but now I just sound like a complainer and the doctors probably think I'm nuts but I just can't let this go, not now!
Oh and get this....Her daughter had ITP! So, their doctors are hunting genetic, autoimmune problems. It's quite possible that her son's muscle problem is autoimmune and I can't help but think there are some connections to be made! It would make sense that if in fact Spencer has the same disease or something similar that it is an immune function.
I'm sure I will not be shutting my brain off from this for days! I am both terrified at what could be but relieved that I am not crazy and another boy, Spencer's friend, has suffered with the exact same problems but neither of them knew the other was in so much pain. Here I thought I was going to get a little break from health issues...no such luck. Looks like it's Spencer's turn. The sad thing is, until we get to some specialists, I have to watch him in pain. Well, this is a long post...but there will be more to come as I put the pieces of the past into this strange little puzzle of life! What a day!!!
I don't think that things just happen because... I think every circumstance, every person you meet is orchestrated with a higher purpose in mind. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I am overthinking what happened to us this afternoon.
It has been a long a very emotional day with the funeral of my friend. Finally, after rushing home to greet the kids after school, I grabbed Spencer and headed to the grocery store. Our purpose in the trip was to get some protein powder for Spencer who is still having problems with his muscles. We have been to the doctors countless times over the past three years about the same problem and no one can seem to grasp what is going on. He works out at the gym and then can't use his muscles for weeks afterwards. The pain is excruciating. He worked out on Saturday and today, he can't straighten his arms, no exaggeration. We were thinking that maybe some extra protein would help him recover faster.
As soon as we get in the door of the store, I see my sister's best friend. They moved down here from Calgary a couple of years ago and I see her off and on and we say "Hi". Well, today she was telling me that they will probably have to move back to Canada because her son who is Spencer's age is in the process of being diagnosed with a genetic muscle problem and the medical bills will be too big to manage down here.
I inquired about the problems her son was having, how they found a doctor to make the diagnosis so quickly. Her son just had a muscle biopsy a week ago to confirm the diagnosis. I was telling her about Spencer's muscle problems and their stories are nearly identical!! I was floored, speechless, scared. Her son's issues just recently progressed to paralysis in his limbs that comes and goes. Spencer isn't to that point yet and maybe it's not the same thing at all but that would be some amazing coincidence! Everything else is the same, weakness and pain after exertion that lasts for weeks at a time and then subsides. Feeling weaker instead of stronger when working out...it's all the same stuff we've been complaining to doctors about. Her son even had the exact same blood test our doctor ran on Spencer just three weeks ago!!!
His levels came back astonishingly high and Spencer's were normal but she said that they tested him when he was having the muscle pain but when they retested when the pain from working out was gone, it was normal. That is what happens with the disease her son possibly has, it comes and goes. Spencer's test was done two days after the pain had subsided and it was within normal limits.
I feel strongly that this meeting was totally orchestrated by God and it is just the information I need to get Spencer to the right specialist and make sure we aren't missing anything. He is definitely not normal and it's been eating away at me for so long but now I just sound like a complainer and the doctors probably think I'm nuts but I just can't let this go, not now!
Oh and get this....Her daughter had ITP! So, their doctors are hunting genetic, autoimmune problems. It's quite possible that her son's muscle problem is autoimmune and I can't help but think there are some connections to be made! It would make sense that if in fact Spencer has the same disease or something similar that it is an immune function.
I'm sure I will not be shutting my brain off from this for days! I am both terrified at what could be but relieved that I am not crazy and another boy, Spencer's friend, has suffered with the exact same problems but neither of them knew the other was in so much pain. Here I thought I was going to get a little break from health issues...no such luck. Looks like it's Spencer's turn. The sad thing is, until we get to some specialists, I have to watch him in pain. Well, this is a long post...but there will be more to come as I put the pieces of the past into this strange little puzzle of life! What a day!!!
Comments
Post a Comment