If I didn't have bad luck...
Wow, what a day! Tuesday, we spent the afternoon at the Ear, Nose, Throat doctor. I believe, I would rather see a dentist for a root canal than have someone messing with my ears, nose or throat. I had anxiety just watching what Shelbie and Spencer had to go through; air pushed through their ears, plier like things up their nose and all sorts of poking and prodding. Yuk!
Spencer was there because he is still having problems with his soft palette in his mouth feeling swollen and enlarged. Back in April, he sneezed and seconds later, his uvula and palette were resting on his tongue. No one could figure out what was going on and as a wild guess, threw out allergies as the possible problem. Spencer complains about it alot so I decided it was time for a specialist to take a look. The doctor wanted to do a scope while we were there. They put a tube up his nose then dropped it down his throat. I felt so bad for him. It looked horribly uncomfortable and he takes after me with a deviated septum so it was really tight and uncomfortable. From that, it was decided that Spencer was suffering with allergies so today, we went for allergy testing and a hearing test for both Shelbie and Spencer.
The allergist was really nice. Spencer was tested for something like 56 different things from weeds to shrimp. The list of what he is NOT allergic to is much shorter than what he IS allergic to. He is not allergic to dogs, dust, molds,mites,cockroaches (what a relief!ha ha), cattle, horses, feathers, milk, eggs, wheat or soybeans. Too bad we aren't farmers, he's not allergic to farming! So, all trees, including pine trees he is allergic to as well as all weeds, and cats. But, get this, the boy is allergic to POTATOES! Seriously? We live in Idaho and he is allergic to potatoes!! Not just a little allergy to potatoes but a moderate one meaning, he may be banned from potatoes! He also has a sensitivity to peanuts! I was shocked to say the least. We have a follow up with the ENT next week but this might explain his constant congestion, runny nose, swollen palette, maybe even some of the nausea we deal with daily. Honestly, I couldn't believe it. Now I want to get Sam in there because its a fight to keep that kid from drowning in mucus on a daily basis.
While the kids were getting their hearing tests, I decided I may as well have mine tested too. I know I have hearing loss, I was diagnosed with that problem well over 10 years ago. Lately, I have been feeling like I am underwater when I talk or sing and even play the piano. I feel like my ears are plugged and it's been annoying the last year. I was not expecting any news other than, 'you have hearing loss'. No such luck! My hearing loss is so bad I need a hearing aid. NOT only that, the pattern of hearing loss suggests either trauma to my head when I was younger or a progressive bone disease in my middle ear!!!! How does this happen to me?! Now, I have to go see the ENT. The Audiologist said that eventually, those ear bones will have to be replaced with a prothesis but I may have a few years before this has to happen. Even with the surgery, I will still need a hearing aid because they can't recoup what I have already lost. This sucks!
Spencer was there because he is still having problems with his soft palette in his mouth feeling swollen and enlarged. Back in April, he sneezed and seconds later, his uvula and palette were resting on his tongue. No one could figure out what was going on and as a wild guess, threw out allergies as the possible problem. Spencer complains about it alot so I decided it was time for a specialist to take a look. The doctor wanted to do a scope while we were there. They put a tube up his nose then dropped it down his throat. I felt so bad for him. It looked horribly uncomfortable and he takes after me with a deviated septum so it was really tight and uncomfortable. From that, it was decided that Spencer was suffering with allergies so today, we went for allergy testing and a hearing test for both Shelbie and Spencer.
The allergist was really nice. Spencer was tested for something like 56 different things from weeds to shrimp. The list of what he is NOT allergic to is much shorter than what he IS allergic to. He is not allergic to dogs, dust, molds,mites,cockroaches (what a relief!ha ha), cattle, horses, feathers, milk, eggs, wheat or soybeans. Too bad we aren't farmers, he's not allergic to farming! So, all trees, including pine trees he is allergic to as well as all weeds, and cats. But, get this, the boy is allergic to POTATOES! Seriously? We live in Idaho and he is allergic to potatoes!! Not just a little allergy to potatoes but a moderate one meaning, he may be banned from potatoes! He also has a sensitivity to peanuts! I was shocked to say the least. We have a follow up with the ENT next week but this might explain his constant congestion, runny nose, swollen palette, maybe even some of the nausea we deal with daily. Honestly, I couldn't believe it. Now I want to get Sam in there because its a fight to keep that kid from drowning in mucus on a daily basis.
While the kids were getting their hearing tests, I decided I may as well have mine tested too. I know I have hearing loss, I was diagnosed with that problem well over 10 years ago. Lately, I have been feeling like I am underwater when I talk or sing and even play the piano. I feel like my ears are plugged and it's been annoying the last year. I was not expecting any news other than, 'you have hearing loss'. No such luck! My hearing loss is so bad I need a hearing aid. NOT only that, the pattern of hearing loss suggests either trauma to my head when I was younger or a progressive bone disease in my middle ear!!!! How does this happen to me?! Now, I have to go see the ENT. The Audiologist said that eventually, those ear bones will have to be replaced with a prothesis but I may have a few years before this has to happen. Even with the surgery, I will still need a hearing aid because they can't recoup what I have already lost. This sucks!
Comments
Post a Comment