Therapy
Today I had my first Occupational Therapy appointment. I had no idea what to expect. It was interesting and sad.
I am not acquainted with the therapist but he is a member of the same church as me and I believe he is a Bishop or in a Bishopric. He asked me what kinds of things I need to do with my hand. I told him first and foremost, I need to be able to play the organ. When he asked me, I had no idea he was a Mormon but I soon found out.
He said, "Oh, an organ player. Of course you can't play the organ with your hand like this. I bet your Bishop is pretty worried about your hand?"
"Well," I said, "I don't believe he is. Why would he be worried?"
"You have no idea how much a Bishop protects his organists do you?" He said with a grin.
Ha ha...I guess we are few and far between at times. I feel like I'm in a bigger mess than I thought but he is sure he can get things working again. I have a lot of nerve damage. One of the things I had to do was pick up a handful of beans from a bin and then turn my hand over and let them spill out into another bin. That was a disaster. My fingers were trembling and unable to perform that task. The Therapist pointed out that that is why I couldn't hit the right notes in the run of notes yesterday at church.
They are also trying to desensitize the rawness of the nerves from having one of them cut apart during surgery. That treatment is called Fluidotherapy. They put my hand in this enclosed box that is filled with ground up corn cobs. It looks like ground wheat and they heat it up to 115 degrees and a fan blows the fine corn cobs all around. While it's doing that, I have to just keep grasping at handfuls of corn cob. The fine mixture hitting my arm is painful just because of those darn nerves being so messed up. Anyways, it did feel good-ish and was pretty interesting.
I have hope this will work with enough time. Fingers crossed.
I am not acquainted with the therapist but he is a member of the same church as me and I believe he is a Bishop or in a Bishopric. He asked me what kinds of things I need to do with my hand. I told him first and foremost, I need to be able to play the organ. When he asked me, I had no idea he was a Mormon but I soon found out.
He said, "Oh, an organ player. Of course you can't play the organ with your hand like this. I bet your Bishop is pretty worried about your hand?"
"Well," I said, "I don't believe he is. Why would he be worried?"
"You have no idea how much a Bishop protects his organists do you?" He said with a grin.
Ha ha...I guess we are few and far between at times. I feel like I'm in a bigger mess than I thought but he is sure he can get things working again. I have a lot of nerve damage. One of the things I had to do was pick up a handful of beans from a bin and then turn my hand over and let them spill out into another bin. That was a disaster. My fingers were trembling and unable to perform that task. The Therapist pointed out that that is why I couldn't hit the right notes in the run of notes yesterday at church.
They are also trying to desensitize the rawness of the nerves from having one of them cut apart during surgery. That treatment is called Fluidotherapy. They put my hand in this enclosed box that is filled with ground up corn cobs. It looks like ground wheat and they heat it up to 115 degrees and a fan blows the fine corn cobs all around. While it's doing that, I have to just keep grasping at handfuls of corn cob. The fine mixture hitting my arm is painful just because of those darn nerves being so messed up. Anyways, it did feel good-ish and was pretty interesting.
I have hope this will work with enough time. Fingers crossed.
Comments
Post a Comment