So it begins...
We weren't even home three hours and Shelbie ended up in the ER.
It was such a rough morning. She has been in three different hospitals in three different cities in just 24 hours. By the time the hospital in South Jordan blew three veins trying to start IV's for the bubble echoes and other tests, we were done. I have no room to complain. Shelbie's been through the wringer this week. It's been awful. I don't understand how the girl is still alive if I'm being honest.
I made the decision to come home as soon as we could after all of the morning tests. Her hives were still a thing but she kept telling me they weren't getting worse so it seemed like everything we were doing was working.
We got home, I unpacked the car, changed into a dress, got back in the car and drove down to a nearby city to meet with some clients who have been feeling neglected this week because, obviously, I'm way behind on their project. After my meeting, I had several missed calls from Shelbie. The hives had spread significantly. I got home as soon as I could, changed again and ran her up to the hospital.
This is almost identical to the situation we found ourselves in two years ago. I can't even really call them hives. They are giant welts, that spread into each other. Not only that, her incision is infected and there is an abscess at one end. I am honestly beside myself. The ER was slammed tonight and one woman was slamming her body against our shared wall and screaming at the top of her lungs, police were coming; it was the last thing I needed. I could tell from her screaming, they were trying to transport her to mental hospital and she was refusing to go. Seriously, I was sitting there thinking...'Girl, just go! I'll go! Take me! I'd give anything for a time out and no responsibilities!' I know, it's a terrible thing to think but it's been that sort of week.
The doc wanted to admit her but Shelbie flat out refused. I can't say I blame her. So, long story short, they did some IV steroids and antibiotics and we will follow up with our family doc as soon as the clinic opens. I don't think inpatient makes any sense but outpatient IV therapy does. We'll just have to see. She is on so many histamine blockers and steroids and nothing is slowing this down.
On the way home, the Pulmonology clinic called to let me know Shelbie doesn't have blood clots in her lungs. Shocker. I think sarcasm should be considered a virtuous quality because when everything else fails, sarcasm is still going strong! I've made it an art, actually. I can be so sarcastic yet sound so endearing and sincere. When the nurse practitioner told me, it went sort of like this...
"What? NO!!! She doesn't have blood clots in her lungs? I can hardly believe that! That's wonderful news!" And then they get all happy with you and a good time is had by all! I had a hard eye roll to go with it too, but they couldn't hear that part. I knew all along she didn't have blood clots in her lungs.
Anyways...that's where things stand. I hope we can avoid inpatient but that remains to be seen.
It was such a rough morning. She has been in three different hospitals in three different cities in just 24 hours. By the time the hospital in South Jordan blew three veins trying to start IV's for the bubble echoes and other tests, we were done. I have no room to complain. Shelbie's been through the wringer this week. It's been awful. I don't understand how the girl is still alive if I'm being honest.
I made the decision to come home as soon as we could after all of the morning tests. Her hives were still a thing but she kept telling me they weren't getting worse so it seemed like everything we were doing was working.
We got home, I unpacked the car, changed into a dress, got back in the car and drove down to a nearby city to meet with some clients who have been feeling neglected this week because, obviously, I'm way behind on their project. After my meeting, I had several missed calls from Shelbie. The hives had spread significantly. I got home as soon as I could, changed again and ran her up to the hospital.
This is almost identical to the situation we found ourselves in two years ago. I can't even really call them hives. They are giant welts, that spread into each other. Not only that, her incision is infected and there is an abscess at one end. I am honestly beside myself. The ER was slammed tonight and one woman was slamming her body against our shared wall and screaming at the top of her lungs, police were coming; it was the last thing I needed. I could tell from her screaming, they were trying to transport her to mental hospital and she was refusing to go. Seriously, I was sitting there thinking...'Girl, just go! I'll go! Take me! I'd give anything for a time out and no responsibilities!' I know, it's a terrible thing to think but it's been that sort of week.
The doc wanted to admit her but Shelbie flat out refused. I can't say I blame her. So, long story short, they did some IV steroids and antibiotics and we will follow up with our family doc as soon as the clinic opens. I don't think inpatient makes any sense but outpatient IV therapy does. We'll just have to see. She is on so many histamine blockers and steroids and nothing is slowing this down.
On the way home, the Pulmonology clinic called to let me know Shelbie doesn't have blood clots in her lungs. Shocker. I think sarcasm should be considered a virtuous quality because when everything else fails, sarcasm is still going strong! I've made it an art, actually. I can be so sarcastic yet sound so endearing and sincere. When the nurse practitioner told me, it went sort of like this...
"What? NO!!! She doesn't have blood clots in her lungs? I can hardly believe that! That's wonderful news!" And then they get all happy with you and a good time is had by all! I had a hard eye roll to go with it too, but they couldn't hear that part. I knew all along she didn't have blood clots in her lungs.
Anyways...that's where things stand. I hope we can avoid inpatient but that remains to be seen.
Comments
Post a Comment