Samuel's biopsy

Today, we made it through the dreaded biopsy day! This was biopsy number 55 between the three of them!  55


We arrived bright and early and Sam seemed fairly relaxed.  They got us right down to a room and didn't waste any time getting the IV started and all the questions out of the way.  Again, we had the best nurse!  Madison Nurses are great!

I did fine for the most part.  I got a little choked up when they wheeled him out of the room and into surgery.  The doctor and someone else said, "See you on the other side."

That didn't really sit well with me for some reason.  So, I kissed him on the forehead, told him I loved him and said, "I will see you right back here in an hour!"  I was a little sad that they took him away before the Versed had kicked in and he was sufficiently loopy.  Not that I wanted any viral videos of him loopy, I just wanted him to be 'out of it' as they wheeled him away.  It just seemed sad to let him go alone, I didn't want him to remember that part.

I could feel my emotions getting kind of crazy inside so I slipped up to the cafeteria to get out of there for a minute.  I bought Sam his favorite drink...Jarrito.  I have no idea what it is, just that he likes it.  They had 5 different flavors and I just wasn't sure which one he loved, so I guessed at two.  Turns out, I was wrong.  After he woke up, he informed me that he loved the Mango, so I ran back up to get a Mango flavored one.  As I checked out, the clerk said, "You must be thirsty!"
"No, they are for my son who had surgery this morning."
"Oh, you can't give him this!!!  Really, don't buy it.  He really can't drink this." She was not going to sell me that drink!  It was kind of funny and added just the right amount of humor to the morning.

I clarified that he was already out of surgery and he was now allowed to drink and eat whatever he wanted.  It took a little convincing but I got my Mango Jarrito!

I am so glad we stuck to our guns on having it done at the hospital under general anesthesia.  The doctor did report that he had to really work at getting the biopsy out.  He has really hard bones and doing it in the office would have been painful and uncomfortable!

The moral of the story is...Mom's sometimes do know best!

Sam did fairly well today and we have managed the pain okay.  Tomorrow, might be a different story.  The second day, he usually finds it painful to walk.  So, he will lay low for another day.

I felt badly because I had to be gone all day!  I had to work because I need the money! When I did get home, I was busy making Thanksgiving dinner.  After work tonight, we chilled a little and watched Studio C.

Deep Thoughts:  On our way home from the hospital, I told him that he seemed really relaxed for the procedure and not very nervous.  I asked him if he really felt like that or if it was really harder than he let on.  He said, he wasn't scared for the procedure but scared for the results.  He said that each biopsy gets harder and harder because he knows now what it means, why they do it and he knows that one of these times, his luck might run out!

I feel the very same way! It's scary.  The next few weeks will be filled with anxiety as we wait.  He is such a trooper.  I am so proud of him.


Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts