Remember when

Remember when you went to the eye doctor and just came out with a new prescription for glasses?

That's what I was expecting yesterday at Samuel's Ophthalmology appointment.  It was mostly a check up but Dyskeratosis has some bad eye problems so we needed to check things out with this new knowledge in mind.

Still...I just figured it was going to be a basic, easy eye exam.  It wasn't hard per se, but I was shocked and confused.

Within the first 5 minutes of the exam, the doctor found a cyst in Samuel's right eye!  Let me ask you, have you ever in your life, heard of someone having a cyst in their eye?  Not on their eye...in it?

Nope, me neither!  Now you have!

He also has a Nevus on his left eye.  A nevus is  similar to a freckle and it has the capacity to become cancerous.

The plan is to watch both.  I love sitting around watching things that are not right.  It's so productive and proactive!  (There may be a little sarcasm in that sentence...maybe a little.)  But, he's right.  At the moment, neither issue is creating any problems for him.  If the cyst continues to grow or become inflamed, he will need surgery to remove it.

It's just so surreal.  I never in my wildest dreams expected anything like this.  It sort of shakes your world just a bit.

Moving on...cause that's what we do...move on!

Monday, Samuel has his bone marrow biopsy.  It will be at the hospital and he will be fully sedated.  I know our doctor would rather not do it this way, but it's not about him...right?  I was really proud of Sam, he stood up to the  10 minute rambling from the doctor of why it would just be better to do the procedure in the office without sedation.  It's just such a ridiculous thought!

Why and who, would want to have a large, hollow needle screwed into your hip bone and a chip of your bone removed, marrow sucked out, while being wide awake?  It is a discomfort and pain that is absolutely unnecessary in a world of modern medicine.

Thursday, Shelbie will be in the hospital for her IVIG so it will be a super busy, somewhat stressful week.

Tonight...I remember when life was simple; when there were far fewer surprises when we went for a simple eye check up.  Sigh...


Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts