Skip to main content


Yesterday was IVIG day for Shelbie.

It wasn't a horrible day, in fact she was awake most of the morning and a little towards the end of her transfusion so that was different for her.  It took much longer and I'm not sure why.  We got there at the crack of dawn, before the crack of dawn in fact.  It did take a few tries to get the IV started so that may have accounted for the longer day.

It was weird having Sam home sick while I was at the hospital with Shelbie.  I had him check his fever and if it was still gone, I told him he could come up to have lunch with us.  He did and seemed to be doing better actually.  I kept him home today, just to give him one more day to build up some resistance.

I really appreciate our nurses at Infusion Therapy.  They really are among the best I've met.  They are compassionate, professional, and have a great sense of humor that we appreciate.  One of the nurses we always have, pulls double duty in that unit.  Infusion Therapy is also where the visiting specialists camp out and she nurses for them as well.   As it turns out, she will be the nurse for the cardiologist Sam will be seeing next week.

I am so apprehensive about meeting this new doctor.  It could be because I've had nothing but poor experiences with doctors lately so I'm a little anxious.  I just don't think I can take anymore attitude from spoiled doctors.  It could also be the fact that he was the only cardiologist out of a dozen that would even consider taking us on.  They say that like we are a bad thing...I will go to my deathbed not understanding why doctors say that about us.

I even asked the nurses yesterday if we were hard to deal I'm moving the bed and chairs all around the room!  ;) (it's a weird room they have us in for transfusion, it's a sizeable room but the bed is crammed up against the wall and the guest chair at the foot of the bed, kind of towards the corner.  It's horrible space planning because whoever is sitting in the guest chair at the end of the bed, can't see the 15" tv mounted 6 ' up on the I do a little remodeling after Shelbie is settled.)  Anyhow... they didn't understand it either.

I know I was going somewhere with this story....Oh, so, as this nurse was wrapping up the day, she came and asked me for Sam's health history and the name of the disease he has so she can have him registered before we get there next week AND she was going to prime him a little for me so he knows what he is walking into and hopefully will treat us better than some crazed, tired mom, Munchhausen mom.  I think that is so great of her and I will somehow have to thank her for thinking of us in this way.

So, that's the health drama for the week.  Pretty quiet.  Now we wait and see if Shelbie gets slammed with the headaches that send us to the hospital in quiet hours of the night.

I can't believe we are jumping back into the heart issues.  It's going to put me over the edge if this goes anything like December did.



Popular posts from this blog

Obscure Sorrows

I sat on the bench like I usually do on Saturday mornings, the organ music was slow and quiet.  I think that's why I like playing there; its just slow and quiet.  I set the pace.  I mostly keep my eye on the music for fear of messing up but I did notice a couple walk in.  I had known them a few years ago, not well, but enough.  Enough to notice each other and say Hi.  I had heard recently that she had breast cancer.  She's likely a good 10 years younger than me.  Her red wig was striking, her eyebrows carefully in place and by all accounts, she made cancer look good.  
I had the strangest feeling I've never had before.  She has no idea, that somehow, I know all about her recent strife with cancer.  I have heard how it struck, how she deals; I know more than a distant acquaintance like me should know.   She is living this complicated, unfair, story that went off in a way she scarcely expected.  For a moment, I felt like I was an extra in her 3rd act; the struggle.  And, I wo…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…


It has been an emotional weekend!  Holy Smokes.  I need a vacation from being sensitive.

It's been months since I have been able to find my homeless friend May.

Monday, I had this overwhelming feeling that she was in trouble and it dawned on me that I should call the apartment where she was last known to be.  They didn't answer.  They didn't answer my call all week!  Finally, yesterday (Friday) they called me back.  I was afraid that they wouldn't give me any information about May since I wasn't family so I lied!  I told them she was my great Aunt.  The manager hummed and hawed and finally gave the phone to a man who wondered what I wanted with her.  After some convincing, he told me that she had been arrested and taken to the State Mental Hospital.

I was so sad!  I immediately called the State Hospital and asked if I could speak to her but of course, they can't tell me if she is there or not...and, I couldn't remember her first, legal name.  She has sever…