Skip to main content

29 Gifts Day 4

Today, the gift I had planned never materialized because...well, let's just say the day went completely different than I had planned.

It started with Sam's car breaking down.  That took so much time but I was so grateful that two men from church had stopped to help.   I would have eventually figured it all out but having the help and support was so nice!

That put me late getting ready for my morning meeting so I was feeling rushed. The person I was meeting with was clearly needing a lot of extra support so I stayed until she was in a better place.

I got home, ready to meet my next deadline but my friend called who was going to have a horrible day today and we talked for over an hour.  I was really glad that I could be there for her and things actually turned out better than it could have.  I felt good about that but missed my deadline so I had to call and apologize.

Then, as soon as Sam got home from school, we headed out to the car parts store to get more oil, headlights, and windshield wipers.  When we were through, Sam went home and I had to make one stop for a friend.

Apparently, when Sam drove up to our house, there was a lady laying in the snow on the grass!  He went running to her and could tell that he would need help so he ran in to get Shelbie.  At first, they thought she had just slipped but they both very quickly realized that she was slurring her speech and not tracking with her eyes so they figured she had had a stroke.  It was actually across the street so they got blankets from the nearest house and had them call 911...Strange that neither of them had their phone.

I was headed home when the Ambulance passed me just a block from home.  When it turned down our street, my heart sank.  As I looked down the street, all I could see was Sam kneeling over a body!  I was so sure that it was Shelbie under all those blankets as they waited for the Ambulance.  Life became a blur...I was so scared!  As I ran up to them, I could see Shelbie on the other side, talking to lady, holding her hand.

To my total surprise, I knew the lady.  She didn't live in the neighborhood but I worked with her in my last ward.  Her daughter had just arrived as well because she had called her mom just as this happened so she knew something bad had happened.  I knew her fairly well also.  She seemed in total shock and stood feet from her mother just watching it all unfold.

There was nothing to do but stand back with her daughter, my kids were amazing!  They were totally calm and had done all the right things. As they were getting her in the ambulance, I gathered the lady's belongings that she had been carrying and got them to her daughter as she got inside the ambulance.

It was so scary.  I'm not going to lie.  After we got inside, it all just kind of hit us.  The adrenaline started slowing down and then we were all exhausted and shaking.  I thought it very strange that Sam was the first one to come upon a woman having a stroke.  It's been the one thing that has weighed heavy on him since all these heart and lung problems were discovered.  I can't really put into words how strange it felt but somehow, there was a message in all this.

I thought how perfect today was...The reason I do this project, played out in real events today.  When you help someone else get what they need to be happy, you get what you need in return.  It's the law of nature.  It was a day of helping people and people helping me.  It was perfect.

I was so proud of my kids for how fast they acted and the service they gave.  Shelbie said they had tried to wave down two cars driving past and no one on our street stopped.  I thought that was so odd.

We really need more love in this world.  Are we really all so busy, we can't stop to help?



Popular posts from this blog

Obscure Sorrows

I sat on the bench like I usually do on Saturday mornings, the organ music was slow and quiet.  I think that's why I like playing there; its just slow and quiet.  I set the pace.  I mostly keep my eye on the music for fear of messing up but I did notice a couple walk in.  I had known them a few years ago, not well, but enough.  Enough to notice each other and say Hi.  I had heard recently that she had breast cancer.  She's likely a good 10 years younger than me.  Her red wig was striking, her eyebrows carefully in place and by all accounts, she made cancer look good.  
I had the strangest feeling I've never had before.  She has no idea, that somehow, I know all about her recent strife with cancer.  I have heard how it struck, how she deals; I know more than a distant acquaintance like me should know.   She is living this complicated, unfair, story that went off in a way she scarcely expected.  For a moment, I felt like I was an extra in her 3rd act; the struggle.  And, I wo…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…


It has been an emotional weekend!  Holy Smokes.  I need a vacation from being sensitive.

It's been months since I have been able to find my homeless friend May.

Monday, I had this overwhelming feeling that she was in trouble and it dawned on me that I should call the apartment where she was last known to be.  They didn't answer.  They didn't answer my call all week!  Finally, yesterday (Friday) they called me back.  I was afraid that they wouldn't give me any information about May since I wasn't family so I lied!  I told them she was my great Aunt.  The manager hummed and hawed and finally gave the phone to a man who wondered what I wanted with her.  After some convincing, he told me that she had been arrested and taken to the State Mental Hospital.

I was so sad!  I immediately called the State Hospital and asked if I could speak to her but of course, they can't tell me if she is there or not...and, I couldn't remember her first, legal name.  She has sever…