Skip to main content

I don't even know...

What a roller coaster of what nots!

Last night, we ended up in the ER with Shelbie.  Not only was she having her IVIG reaction but she developed the biggest welts and hives all over. I don't have a clue where those came from or why.  We got home at 2am.

Today, Sam was the happiest he has been in months.  I was so grateful because I had to work and after getting only 3 hours of sleep, I just didn't have much energy to give him.

Missionary Monday was today.  We got a letter from Spencer and it was so discouraging.  It was like day and night from his past letters.  He seemed really upset.  I had told him, gently, about Sam because I think he would want the opportunity to pray for his brother.  He said that there are just so many problems with him, the whole mission and our family.  I know the mission has been through some crazy hard times but I thought he was taking it all in stride.  I just want to talk to him now.  I don't have one ounce of patience to wait until Thursday to talk to him.  As for the Christmas presents, he got some of them back, opened and thrown in a box.  He was appreciative for what he received.

Tomorrow, we have a busy day.  We start out bright and early with the final cardiac testing for Sam.  From there, we drive an hour and a half for Shelbie's testing.  Hopefully, we get home early evening.

I have really been handling things pretty well.  I mean, I've been emotional for sure but not frazzled and scared.  Mostly, feeling blessed and overwhelmed with the blessings I have seen.

Tonight, I don't know what happened.  I just seemed to unravel.  It must be days on end of very little sleep.  I know Spencer's letter really upset me.  We have had a ton of stress I guess, when I think about it.  It does seem to be a little more than usual.

I just want a plan.  I want a plan for Sam.  Truth be told, I really want him to have atrial septal defect because if he doesn't have that, then we have bigger problems that can't be fixed like the lung issue, the mini strokes.  Those two issues are way more serious to me than the heart problem.  At least, that is where I am tonight.  Obviously, I don't want the heart problems to be too terribly bad...

Now, I sound like I'm getting ready to place my order at McDonalds...Cheeseburger, no pickles, no onions, extra ketchup, double cheese.

I would like an Atrial Septal Defect please about 1/4 of an inch in diameter, surgery through the aorta, not a broken set of ribs, I would like the lung problems to magically resolve and his vision to never be affected again and...I'll have some fries!

Ugh...I hate days like today.  I hate the back and forth, the rising anxiety, the panic, the not being able to talk to Spencer and find out what is wrong...I hate that my kids have to go through any of this stress.

So today has been an 'I don't even know' and 'I can't even' kind of day!

Tomorrow, I will be back on top of the world.



Popular posts from this blog

Some Results

I was surprised to get a brief update from our doctor this morning.

They did not catch any seizure activity last week.  She said that while that may be good news, it didn't rule out deep structure seizures.   I asked if the test gave any insight to the cause of the slowing of activity in her brain and these were her words.

" No, this does not give an answer ... But it is just one test, done one time ..."

We are still waiting on the MRI results.  I'm not losing hope.  I know, I play this game ALL THE TIME...I wish for problems that no one in their right mind would wish for.  I only do that because it's usually the option with a fix.  Of all the things they are considering to be an issue for Shelbie, seizures are the simplest explanation and medication would manage it.

I'm certain we aren't going to find a solution to her problems any time soon.  While I sat in the waiting room during her 2 hour MRI last Thursday, there was a couple in the room as well.  A…

Random Saturday

Whenever I feel like we are careening out of control, I declutter and clean.  By midnight on Friday, I had 1/3 of my living room filled with stuff I didn't want.  Today, I made a couple of trips to the thrift store and the dump.

Ahhh, I feel like I lost 20 pounds.

When Sam came home after his first week at school a while back, he said, "Wow, my room looks the same."

"What did you think your room would look like?"  I asked.


Turkey!  He came home this morning with his laundry and was a bit despaired.  He said, "Mom, you gotta help me with the smell in my apartment!  I can't stand it anymore! Do we have any Ozium?"

He went on to explain that there is no garbage disposal in the kitchen sink but food gets crammed down there anyways.  He said he keeps putting the little metal drains in that are meant to catch bits of food but his roommates take them out.  He's about fed up.  And while he was on his rant about boys and their leve…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…