Bone Marrow Biopsy Results

Bone Marrow Biopsy reports are in...I had to hunt them down because our doctor still hasn't called to tell me the results.  I really don't have the energy to deal with him.  He is apparently really busy and we aren't a big priority or something, so whatever.  I don't care anymore.

The report was a mixed bag really.

His cellularity is stable from last year, which means about the same amount of his marrow is functioning as last year so no loss there which is great.

They stated that in light of his condition, it appears that aplasia or aplastic anemia has begun.

There are no increases in Blasts, which are the early signs of leukemia

He continues to show signs of Neutropenia but now Leukopenia...so, another cell in the white blood cells starts to bite the dust.  That must be why he has had an increase in viruses and infections the past few months.

Finally, he had Megakaryocytes show up with unusual morphology. That can be a marker for Myelodysplasia.   They are coming out of his marrow hypoloblated and misshapen.

This is not something we want to see...EVER.

At this point, I'm not entirely sure what to think about this.  The abnormal megakaryocytes are worrisome but to what extent I just can't be sure since I'm not a doctor and can't seem to find a good one these days.  I texted by best friend after I read the results and she said it was surprising how calm I was and that after dealing with these this long, I probably don't jump to conclusions as much.

I confirmed that my 'high jump' to conclusions is still alive an well...for some reason today, I'm just not in the mood to jump.

I will email these to our trusty team in Seattle and see what they say.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if we headed back into the OR Suite in 6 months to re-do the test just to make sure this isn't our newest trend.

More waiting...

In pneumonia news, Sam is doing better today!  I think he turned that proverbial corner last night.  His fever broke last night and he doesn't seem as tight today.  I am going to take him to our family doctor on Friday for a repeat blood test and chest x-ray just to be sure we got it all.  His last day for IV therapy will be Friday if all seems well.
Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts