Nice for a change
Shelbie had her transfusion yesterday and I was so happy it went extremely well! It was probably the best transfusion we have had in months and months!
They gave her a liter of fluids this time and I think that helped with all the nasty reactions. Her blood pressure was stable the whole time and she didn't run a fever or get nauseated! I can't tell you how relieved I was! It was still a longish day but that's better than longish and miserable!
Sam is scheduled for his bone marrow biopsy for next Wednesday! I know...the day before Thanksgiving! I figured it was a good time since he will have a few days off from school and we usually just lay around stuffing our faces anyways and...I am set to lose my insurance on December 15th...or at least find something in the exchange and that is still a big question mark so I want to get things done sooner than later!
It's a little weird thinking that I am only taking one kid to the hospital for one bone marrow biopsy! I haven't done that very often and it feels so strange! Not only do I feel strange but so does Sam. Shelbie too. They always go through these things together.
6 months ago, when the kids had their last biopsy, the boys' came back with concerning numbers. They wanted them both rechecked in 6 months if their peripheral counts didn't look better. I was really hoping we could avoid this but his counts are very low and he has had more infections than usual and he has been plagued with hives for 3 weeks. The doctor thinks this is from the bacterial infection he had three weeks ago...his body is still revved up from fighting that.
So...we aren't in a holding pattern but the blessings of a good IVIG infusion for Shelbie was promising!
They gave her a liter of fluids this time and I think that helped with all the nasty reactions. Her blood pressure was stable the whole time and she didn't run a fever or get nauseated! I can't tell you how relieved I was! It was still a longish day but that's better than longish and miserable!
Sam is scheduled for his bone marrow biopsy for next Wednesday! I know...the day before Thanksgiving! I figured it was a good time since he will have a few days off from school and we usually just lay around stuffing our faces anyways and...I am set to lose my insurance on December 15th...or at least find something in the exchange and that is still a big question mark so I want to get things done sooner than later!
It's a little weird thinking that I am only taking one kid to the hospital for one bone marrow biopsy! I haven't done that very often and it feels so strange! Not only do I feel strange but so does Sam. Shelbie too. They always go through these things together.
6 months ago, when the kids had their last biopsy, the boys' came back with concerning numbers. They wanted them both rechecked in 6 months if their peripheral counts didn't look better. I was really hoping we could avoid this but his counts are very low and he has had more infections than usual and he has been plagued with hives for 3 weeks. The doctor thinks this is from the bacterial infection he had three weeks ago...his body is still revved up from fighting that.
So...we aren't in a holding pattern but the blessings of a good IVIG infusion for Shelbie was promising!
Comments
Post a Comment