Bone Marrow Biopsy #2

Samuel and Bone Marrow Biopsy 


Sam had is second bone marrow biopsy for the year done today!  It was the weirdest thing to walk into the hospital with just one child, not my entourage.  It was weird for Sam too!  The kids have gone through everything together.  He was a trooper and in really good spirits.  He didn't seem nervous.

The nurses at our little county hospital are so great with the kids!  I can't say enough nice things about them.  We had Nurse Nicole today.  Nicole and I go clear back to our college days and I am always happy when she takes care of the kids.  She treats them so kind and has the same kind of humor we do so it's always very comfortable.  She was great to move things along so Sam didn't have a lot of time waiting around to be nervous.

Dr. Hancock was great as well.  He is always so happy and positive.  He is one of the few doctors who understands my desire to research and learn all I can about the disease process and healing things.  I have overwhelmed a lot of new docs lately so it felt great to be in a place where there is mutual understanding.

Sam did well and the procedure went well.  I was really hoping we could have put off this biopsy and waited until the year mark but his counts are pretty low and he has had more infections lately than usual so I'm glad we did it. Sam's first set of vitals when we got to his room were so low!  The nurse was amazed but did not freak out which I appreciated.  His heart rate was only 38!  His blood pressure was super low as well.

I got him home around 9:30am and had to leave him right away.  It about killed me to have to do that but I have been scrambling to find work since being laid off and I got a new house to clean two weeks ago.  Two weeks ago when I set today as our starting date, I didn't know this biopsy was going to come up.  She asked me if my kids' illness ever gets in the way of work and I said, no.  There was no way I could cancel.  Thankfully, Sam understood and was patient with me as I was gone for 5 hours cleaning!  Shelbie helped out to make sure Sam had everything he needed so I really appreciated that as well. Some days, the single mother gig is a lot harder than others.

This entire week, I have only averaged about 2.5-3 hours of sleep each night because of one thing or another.  Tonight, I have mountains of laundry to finish and clean my own house but I am hoping to get a solid 6 hours tonight!  That would feel like Heaven!  I am so incredibly exhausted...words don't even come close to describing the exhaustion I feel.

I will be so totally thrilled to see November as a distant memory!

Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts