Bone Density

I was offered a free bone density test this week so I was all over that.

They were doing training with some new nurses and I was the guinea pig for them to learn on.  I have never had a bone density test and I have often wondered what is really happening in those hard to see places!

Honestly, I view myself as being 'fragile' physically.  Maybe it's because of the degree of pain I live in on a daily basis and the fact that my hair and nails are so brittle, I assumed that also reflected the state of my bones.  Not only that...but I come from a long, healthy line of Osteoporosis!

I don't really do the things they suggest like drinking milk.  I rarely drink milk unless it's laced with several cups of sugar and a healthy portion of Hershey's syrup mixed in and whip cream on top and a salted caramel drizzle doesn't hurt either!  If my milk was served like that 5 times a day...I'd be all over that!  I'd also be fat!

It was funny because my nurse friend who asked me to help out, chose me because I am thin and on the other side of menopause by 3 years so she was pretty confident I would be a good sample of osteoporosis for the nurses in training.  She told me at the beginning of the test that they weren't allowed to give results, if I wanted results, I would need to see one of the doctors.  Fair enough.

Well, things went smoothly and nurses did it a few times to practice.  When it was over, they collected the data and printed the results.  My friend just about keeled over!  She said, "NO WAY!!! You are above normal! What the heck?!"

Yay...score one for me!  I was so happy!  She did give me a copy of the test and sure enough, I am way into the green.  She is also thin and about my age and her bones are not doing as well and asked me what my secret was.  I don't have a secret.  I do weight bearing exercises just about every day so that may be what's saving my bones.

All of a sudden, I don't feel so fragile!  


Photobucket

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts