Speechless
I feel like I am living on a movie set! I keep waiting for the director say "Cut!" and "That's a wrap!" but I never hear those words; nope, the plot just keeps getting thicker! Today was a little unbelievable, even for me!
Shelbie had her IVIG today, as you know and it started out really good. We had a great nurse who was so friendly and personable. We loved her and she got the IV started on the first try! That is a record this year! That was about the only good thing today.
Not even 10 minutes into the transfusion, she had a reaction. Another bad one and she had problems breathing. They acted quickly and shut it off and we all stood there staring at her wondering if she was going to be able to pull out of it or if they would have to start a steroid drip. In the middle of watching her, I got a call from the school. It was Sam. You know when you get a call at 10 in the morning from the school, they aren't calling to tell you what a great kid you have!
"Mom, I need you to come and pick me up." Sam says in a weak voice.
"Oh no, are you sick?"
"No." he says
"Are you in trouble?"
"No."
"Did you forget something? Actually, instead of playing 20 questions, how about you tell me what is wrong."
"Well, I can't walk."
"What?!!! Ok, I'll be there in a second."
The school is just a couple of blocks from the hospital. As I pull up to the school, they are wheeling Sam out on an office chair! I lift him into the car and can't figure out if he is in shock or what was going on with him. He finally told me that has doing a back flip off the gym wall before classes started and he missed the landing. He tried to get through school but then the pain was too much and the swelling was out of control.
I called Spencer to have him come and stay with Shelbie and I took Sam downstairs to the ER. We were there 2 hours and I was so angry!!! The Doctor came in and she was wearing 3 polar fleece coats and her white doctor coat. She looked like death. I said, "How are you?" and she grumbled back, "I'm sick. What are you here for?"
Now, this particular doctor has taken care of my kids before and we actually had a major fight a few years ago when I had Spencer in there for seizures which ended up being Encephalitis. She kept telling me I was just an anxious mom and nothing was wrong with him. I finally had to tell her that I was leaving Spencer behind because I was not taking a dying child home to take care of and she could take him home to take care of him herself and I walked right out of the hospital!! I know, it was pretty dramatic and I still can't believe I did that. She chased me out in the parking lot and told me to come back in and be reasonable. I told her I would only if she would admit him. She did. The next day, our regular physician did a spinal tap and Spencer was diagnosed with Encephalitis and life flighted to Boise!! It took her a few months before she apologized for not listening to me. So, we've had our sorted past and she remembers us well and knows about the kids disease.
I reminded her that Samuel is in bone marrow failure and has neutropenia and low white count but she didn't listen once again and kept coughing and sneezing all over the place! I was fit to be tied! She may be a nice person but she is not that smart. I showed her the gigantic, protruding bone on Sam's foot and she said that was just normal even though the other foot is clearly not gigantic with protruding bones! His knee had tripled in size and I asked if she would do a CT Scan and/or MRI so we could see the soft tissue if the bones were intact. She said, "No, we don't do that here."
I know better than to fight with her but inside I wanted to claw her eyes out!! Seriously, an emergency room at a county hospital doesn't do MRI's? She must still think I am as stupid as a stick. When the male nurse came in who knows me from all our other ER visits, I said, "Hey, could you please ask the radiologist to read the films, I don't trust her judgment." He laughed and said he would pull some strings for me.
Turns out, there are no broken bones but there is definitely damage to some degree in the ligaments and tendons since he can't straighten or bend his knee. We have to go see an Orthopedic Surgeon to make sure he won't need surgery!
Poor Sam. They immobilized his entire leg with a brace so he had to spend the day in a hospital gown because he skinny jeans wouldn't fit over his legs! He laid in a wheelchair for 10 hours!! We just got home an hour ago and now he is running a fever!!! I am so mad at that doctor!
Shelbie is completely wiped out. Sam is on one couch and Shelbie on the other...it just may be a long weekend!
Shelbie had her IVIG today, as you know and it started out really good. We had a great nurse who was so friendly and personable. We loved her and she got the IV started on the first try! That is a record this year! That was about the only good thing today.
Not even 10 minutes into the transfusion, she had a reaction. Another bad one and she had problems breathing. They acted quickly and shut it off and we all stood there staring at her wondering if she was going to be able to pull out of it or if they would have to start a steroid drip. In the middle of watching her, I got a call from the school. It was Sam. You know when you get a call at 10 in the morning from the school, they aren't calling to tell you what a great kid you have!
"Mom, I need you to come and pick me up." Sam says in a weak voice.
"Oh no, are you sick?"
"No." he says
"Are you in trouble?"
"No."
"Did you forget something? Actually, instead of playing 20 questions, how about you tell me what is wrong."
"Well, I can't walk."
"What?!!! Ok, I'll be there in a second."
The school is just a couple of blocks from the hospital. As I pull up to the school, they are wheeling Sam out on an office chair! I lift him into the car and can't figure out if he is in shock or what was going on with him. He finally told me that has doing a back flip off the gym wall before classes started and he missed the landing. He tried to get through school but then the pain was too much and the swelling was out of control.
I called Spencer to have him come and stay with Shelbie and I took Sam downstairs to the ER. We were there 2 hours and I was so angry!!! The Doctor came in and she was wearing 3 polar fleece coats and her white doctor coat. She looked like death. I said, "How are you?" and she grumbled back, "I'm sick. What are you here for?"
Now, this particular doctor has taken care of my kids before and we actually had a major fight a few years ago when I had Spencer in there for seizures which ended up being Encephalitis. She kept telling me I was just an anxious mom and nothing was wrong with him. I finally had to tell her that I was leaving Spencer behind because I was not taking a dying child home to take care of and she could take him home to take care of him herself and I walked right out of the hospital!! I know, it was pretty dramatic and I still can't believe I did that. She chased me out in the parking lot and told me to come back in and be reasonable. I told her I would only if she would admit him. She did. The next day, our regular physician did a spinal tap and Spencer was diagnosed with Encephalitis and life flighted to Boise!! It took her a few months before she apologized for not listening to me. So, we've had our sorted past and she remembers us well and knows about the kids disease.
I reminded her that Samuel is in bone marrow failure and has neutropenia and low white count but she didn't listen once again and kept coughing and sneezing all over the place! I was fit to be tied! She may be a nice person but she is not that smart. I showed her the gigantic, protruding bone on Sam's foot and she said that was just normal even though the other foot is clearly not gigantic with protruding bones! His knee had tripled in size and I asked if she would do a CT Scan and/or MRI so we could see the soft tissue if the bones were intact. She said, "No, we don't do that here."
I know better than to fight with her but inside I wanted to claw her eyes out!! Seriously, an emergency room at a county hospital doesn't do MRI's? She must still think I am as stupid as a stick. When the male nurse came in who knows me from all our other ER visits, I said, "Hey, could you please ask the radiologist to read the films, I don't trust her judgment." He laughed and said he would pull some strings for me.
Turns out, there are no broken bones but there is definitely damage to some degree in the ligaments and tendons since he can't straighten or bend his knee. We have to go see an Orthopedic Surgeon to make sure he won't need surgery!
Poor Sam. They immobilized his entire leg with a brace so he had to spend the day in a hospital gown because he skinny jeans wouldn't fit over his legs! He laid in a wheelchair for 10 hours!! We just got home an hour ago and now he is running a fever!!! I am so mad at that doctor!
Shelbie is completely wiped out. Sam is on one couch and Shelbie on the other...it just may be a long weekend!
What a rough day!! I am so sorry! :(
ReplyDeleteWhen reading about this *incredibly intelligent* nurse, it reminded me of the news article I read yesterday, which said that Madison Memorial Hospital is ranked in the top 25 worst hospitals in the US! Yikes!! Maybe it would be best to go to EIRMC.....
I can't believe the doctor came to work! She could have at least worn a mask! wow. She reminds me of a Dr. my older bother had at ERIMC, he went in feeling horrible, pounding heachach, body aches, stiff neck, lights blinding him whenever one was on and the dr that was just about to leave said "oh you just have a sinus infection, go home, you'll be fine" my mom wouldn't leave and finally had another dr called in for a second opinion. He did a spinal tap and few other tests and found out he had bacterial meningitis. My mom was SUPER pissed at the Dr that told them to leave. I'm surprised she didn't hunt him down.
ReplyDelete