And then they're gone!
One minute you are enjoying the company of a really great person and then next day they are gone, just gone!
I have had the great privilege and blessing of taking care of my sweet neighbor for the past several months. She has been a blessing and a light in my life but today, she passed away. Was it expected? I guess some may argue that it was but I wasn't expecting her to pass away. I always thought she would be here forever, one of those things that never changes, a permanent fixture in my life.
Three weeks ago, I had to call the ambulance to take her to the hospital. I stayed with her everyday she was in the hospital. Two weeks ago, she was moved to the nursing home and I stayed with her there every single day. I straightened her blankets, gave her hand massages, ran her errands but most importantly, I showed up because she loved me and she made me smile. Call me selfish.
We had so much in common even though there was a 30 year age difference. Carma always had something funny to say even when she was in pain and not feeling well. She had nicknames for everyone and I loved the ones she picked out for my kids. Shelbie was lovingly referred to as Shorty, Sam was '4 legs'. Spencer was always that boy with the red hair. We loved being with her. Whenever we left her room, we would say goodbye and she would say, "Not goodbye, see ya later."
Carma was full of all sorts of funny stories. The last few days before she went to the hospital, she had me gather up all her jewelry and I spent one entire evening listening to stories about each and every piece and what it meant to her. She had the best stories and a wonderful sense of humor.
At Thanksgiving a good friend of hers died unexpectedly. He was well loved and admired in the community and she was deeply affected by his death. She said to me late one night, "You never really know the impact you made in this life until you die. I hope that I have made some kind of difference in the life of someone by the time I die." Well, she made a difference to me and I was able to tell her that just this week.
Tonight I am sad. I can't believe she's gone. I've been a little lost wondering what to do with my time today. I usually spend Sunday evenings in her room at the nursing home. I wanted to go up there just because but I didn't. This week will be hard. The kids will be gone to the wasbands for New Years and I will have no one to take care of.
See ya later Carma...
I have had the great privilege and blessing of taking care of my sweet neighbor for the past several months. She has been a blessing and a light in my life but today, she passed away. Was it expected? I guess some may argue that it was but I wasn't expecting her to pass away. I always thought she would be here forever, one of those things that never changes, a permanent fixture in my life.
Three weeks ago, I had to call the ambulance to take her to the hospital. I stayed with her everyday she was in the hospital. Two weeks ago, she was moved to the nursing home and I stayed with her there every single day. I straightened her blankets, gave her hand massages, ran her errands but most importantly, I showed up because she loved me and she made me smile. Call me selfish.
We had so much in common even though there was a 30 year age difference. Carma always had something funny to say even when she was in pain and not feeling well. She had nicknames for everyone and I loved the ones she picked out for my kids. Shelbie was lovingly referred to as Shorty, Sam was '4 legs'. Spencer was always that boy with the red hair. We loved being with her. Whenever we left her room, we would say goodbye and she would say, "Not goodbye, see ya later."
Carma was full of all sorts of funny stories. The last few days before she went to the hospital, she had me gather up all her jewelry and I spent one entire evening listening to stories about each and every piece and what it meant to her. She had the best stories and a wonderful sense of humor.
At Thanksgiving a good friend of hers died unexpectedly. He was well loved and admired in the community and she was deeply affected by his death. She said to me late one night, "You never really know the impact you made in this life until you die. I hope that I have made some kind of difference in the life of someone by the time I die." Well, she made a difference to me and I was able to tell her that just this week.
Tonight I am sad. I can't believe she's gone. I've been a little lost wondering what to do with my time today. I usually spend Sunday evenings in her room at the nursing home. I wanted to go up there just because but I didn't. This week will be hard. The kids will be gone to the wasbands for New Years and I will have no one to take care of.
See ya later Carma...
I had a Carma in my life. She left about 4 years ago. I still have days I want to run into her house and give her a squeeze. She warmed my heart. My kids loved her more than anything. We still have Nonaisms. Be greatful that she had an active part of your kids lives. My kids are better for knowing her. <<>>
ReplyDelete