MRI
Sam is my little metaphor for life these days. When his accident happened, he had a pretty good attitude. He didn't complain about the pain or the crutches that are really too short. He was courageous and had a lot of energy both physical and mental. Now that things have been dragging on for 6 days or so, he is wearing down. He is exhausted and the pain is really starting to make him cranky.
It's kind of like life. We get slammed with a trial but we feel hopeful and confident that we will have the stamina to face whatever comes our way. We start out great. We are cheerful and happy and people can't believe how positive we can be in the face of opposition. Pretty soon, what we thought was only going to be a trial for a month or two ends up being a little longer, like forever let's just say. The happy countenance gets a little tarnished and confidence takes a bit more effort.
Tomorrow, Sam has his MRI at the hospital...surprise, I guess they do in fact do MRI's at the hospital! (remember the dumb ER doc that told me she couldn't do one last Thursday because they don't do them there?) I am glad that we will be able to find out if he will need surgery or not! I am the kind of person who just needs to know. I don't care really if he needs surgery or not, I just want to know. You can prepare for things better when you know. I am cautiously optimistic that it is just severely bruised but not torn. The swelling is no better today than it was on day one. There has been no change at all, not better but not worse either.
I can't remember when he said it but just matter of fact, not a hint of emotion and completely out of the blue, he said, "Well, I can't believe my career is over, now what?" I tried not to smile because seriously, a career out of doing wall flips? But then I realized just how happy he has been going to gym twice a week for his parkour classes. He and his best friend D were hoping to be able to teach the class next year! I think he really did believe this sport would become his life. Poor kid.
Stop the presses...I take back everything I just said about being hopeful that it is nothing serious. We just took the compression stocking off, the ACE wrap and the brace and I asked him to bend it for me and when he did, his knee cap slid off to the side!!! Okay, now I want to throw up. I can watch blood transfusions, bone marrow biopsies, clean up all matter of bodily fluids but I can not stand seeing that! Ughhh...Oh man...well stay tuned.
It's kind of like life. We get slammed with a trial but we feel hopeful and confident that we will have the stamina to face whatever comes our way. We start out great. We are cheerful and happy and people can't believe how positive we can be in the face of opposition. Pretty soon, what we thought was only going to be a trial for a month or two ends up being a little longer, like forever let's just say. The happy countenance gets a little tarnished and confidence takes a bit more effort.
Tomorrow, Sam has his MRI at the hospital...surprise, I guess they do in fact do MRI's at the hospital! (remember the dumb ER doc that told me she couldn't do one last Thursday because they don't do them there?) I am glad that we will be able to find out if he will need surgery or not! I am the kind of person who just needs to know. I don't care really if he needs surgery or not, I just want to know. You can prepare for things better when you know. I am cautiously optimistic that it is just severely bruised but not torn. The swelling is no better today than it was on day one. There has been no change at all, not better but not worse either.
I can't remember when he said it but just matter of fact, not a hint of emotion and completely out of the blue, he said, "Well, I can't believe my career is over, now what?" I tried not to smile because seriously, a career out of doing wall flips? But then I realized just how happy he has been going to gym twice a week for his parkour classes. He and his best friend D were hoping to be able to teach the class next year! I think he really did believe this sport would become his life. Poor kid.
Stop the presses...I take back everything I just said about being hopeful that it is nothing serious. We just took the compression stocking off, the ACE wrap and the brace and I asked him to bend it for me and when he did, his knee cap slid off to the side!!! Okay, now I want to throw up. I can watch blood transfusions, bone marrow biopsies, clean up all matter of bodily fluids but I can not stand seeing that! Ughhh...Oh man...well stay tuned.
Yuck! That is too bad. Good luck today.
ReplyDelete