Skip to main content

This is crazy...

Okay, I know you are going to think I am making this up but...Nope.  Even I am not that creative.

Today, Sam had his renal testing done.  No results yet.

While we were at the hospital, I met with some people to discuss the fungus that Shelbie supposedly has.  Just wondered if they could shed anymore light on the situation.  I just can't believe it.  It doesn't add up.  Something else has to be going on.

Shelbie has had a red eye for a few days but today, it is clearly conjunctivitis so when I finally made it home from the hospital around 4, I grabbed Shelbie and we headed in another direction to see our family doc to get her eye infection taken care of.

While we were there, I explained the fungus situation and he is going to get all the films and reports in first thing in the morning and see what they think.  In the meantime, he wanted to do a chest x-ray to see if anything showed up.

Wouldn't you know it...none of the calcification or fungus nodules showed up on the x-ray but there was a "fullness" on one side of her lung that he wasn't sure what it meant.  He will compare the CT Scan he gets tomorrow with the X-ray and compare them.  Obviously, the CT is going to be more accurate.  He said the x-ray looks like someone in heart failure, maybe cancer.  We will just have to wait and sort it out!

I just can't believe what is happening.  It's so surreal.  I feel like I am asleep and stuck in a very bad dream.

Today, I've actually been doing pretty good.  Shelbie interpreted that to mean I didn't really care about her problems.  We had a good talk.  I keep reminding the kids that someone has to be strong and since I am not currently sick or dealing with anything near to what they are...I will be the strong one for them.

After tomorrow, I hope we will be one step closer to a plan.  I know when a plan is in place, things will feel much better.



Popular posts from this blog

Obscure Sorrows

I sat on the bench like I usually do on Saturday mornings, the organ music was slow and quiet.  I think that's why I like playing there; its just slow and quiet.  I set the pace.  I mostly keep my eye on the music for fear of messing up but I did notice a couple walk in.  I had known them a few years ago, not well, but enough.  Enough to notice each other and say Hi.  I had heard recently that she had breast cancer.  She's likely a good 10 years younger than me.  Her red wig was striking, her eyebrows carefully in place and by all accounts, she made cancer look good.  
I had the strangest feeling I've never had before.  She has no idea, that somehow, I know all about her recent strife with cancer.  I have heard how it struck, how she deals; I know more than a distant acquaintance like me should know.   She is living this complicated, unfair, story that went off in a way she scarcely expected.  For a moment, I felt like I was an extra in her 3rd act; the struggle.  And, I wo…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…


It has been an emotional weekend!  Holy Smokes.  I need a vacation from being sensitive.

It's been months since I have been able to find my homeless friend May.

Monday, I had this overwhelming feeling that she was in trouble and it dawned on me that I should call the apartment where she was last known to be.  They didn't answer.  They didn't answer my call all week!  Finally, yesterday (Friday) they called me back.  I was afraid that they wouldn't give me any information about May since I wasn't family so I lied!  I told them she was my great Aunt.  The manager hummed and hawed and finally gave the phone to a man who wondered what I wanted with her.  After some convincing, he told me that she had been arrested and taken to the State Mental Hospital.

I was so sad!  I immediately called the State Hospital and asked if I could speak to her but of course, they can't tell me if she is there or not...and, I couldn't remember her first, legal name.  She has sever…