Ride For SDS

Have you heard of the bike race called Tour Divide?  It's a mountain bike race that begins in Banff, Alberta, Canada and ends in New Mexico, some 2700 miles!

Well, the race kicked off on June 4th.  There is a man by the name of Eddie Turkaly riding in the race to raise money for Shwachman Diamond Syndrome.  At first, I wasn't sure what Eddie's connection to Shwachman Diamond Syndrome was, it's not like breast cancer where everyone and their dog is raising money for the cause, but then I found out he has a son with Shwachmans.

I've been following his ride since he left.  Last week, his wife posted this update:
        " Eddie made it to Kremling last night. Saddle sores weren't as bothersome as he thought they might be. He is frustrated that he is moving so slowly up the big climbs. I reminded him of the over 1700 miles he's done in the last 2 weeks and that those miles day after day are bound to slow you down a bit. He is really missing his kiddos and keeps thanking me for supporting him in this effort. He also says he NEVER wants to do it again! I think he is starting to face some of the mental struggles that are inevitable in an undertaking of this magnitude. I reminded him of all the support that is out there on his behalf and he told me that is what got him up yesterday's biggest climb. Keep that energy flowing his way! Thanks so much! He is on the move this morning and expecting to make it to Breckenridge by midday and then pushing on from there after washing his bike shorts. A very good idea I think! stay tuned!"

Her words struck me to the core!  This past year has been tough and even tougher when I feel like I am always being judged for one thing or another.  I have always worn the tough facade, been the rock for my kids but I'm tired.  No one can really understand the kind of tired I am talking about but when I read Eddie's wife reminding him that after 1700 miles, he's bound to be a bit slower and more tired, it all made sense. 

I drew an analogy to Eddie and his mental struggle in this race and the massive undertaking it is to what all this means to me.  
        When we get the diagnosis of chronic illness, we rally. We have hope and we have energy and we are vigilant in keeping our kids as healthy as possible. We make the most of the moments and we are on cruise control and though it isn't easy, we have a kind of energy we didn't have before.

 As we face trial after trial, climb after climb and 1700 miles is behind us, we get tired. We get upset that we don't have the same energy we did starting out and maybe finding a new normal gets harder with each new symptom and diagnosis but hope is not gone. 

We get down on ourselves, people judge us for 'losing faith', 'being negative' and we may even be full of our own version of 'saddle sores'! It gets harder than it use to be. 

It doesn't mean we are giving up. We've been peddling hard in this race of life, giving it all we've got.  There are plenty more mountains and hills to be climbed and we can't give up now.  

 I hope we all have someone who helps us see how far we've come. Someone gentle, who can see the whole forest, not just the trees when we can't. Someone who reminds us that it's okay to slow down a little when things get rough. It's quite normal and healthy actually. It's okay to be reflective and it's okay to be tired and it's okay to take care of ourselves. 

Eddie and his race made me realize that living with a chronic illness is just as much a mental battle as it is a physical one. If you don't keep your head in the game and filter out the chaos and bad news, then you will be done for. 

Sometimes, it just takes a little reminder like this to get back on track.  Go Eddie!!  You can track his progress here.  







Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts