Overwhelmed!
We arrived safe and sound in Orlando! We were welcomed by the nicest man from Give Kids The World. He and his wife are from Ohio and volunteer at GKTW. They use to scoop ice cream but now they do the meet and greet at the airport.
Before we got off the plane, the pilot invited Sam to sit in the cock pit. He showed him all the instruments and let him 'play' with the controls. It was so cool!
We met our volunteer as we got off the plane. He had a cool sign with Sam's name on it. He loaded up all our bags on a cart and took us to baggage claim then helped us get to our rental car. He gave me step by step driving instructions to our Villa at Give Kids The World. I was so nervous about driving by myself. They gave us a brand new SUV to drive which is much different than my crappy Elantra and so much bigger!
We pulled up to GKTW and were greeted by the nicest people. They handed Sam a stuffed Mickey Mouse and immediately offered us a free meal catered by Perkins Restaurant. He directed us to the Gingerbread House where more volunteers helped us through the buffet lines. They even carried our trays to our little dollhouse sized table and chairs! It was so cute. Thousands and thousands of stuffed animals line the dining room.
From there we went back to the House of Hearts to get our room key. They took us via golf cart to our villa. It's literally a two bedroom house! The kids have a giant private bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and huge shower. There's a full kitchen and the fridge is stocked with soda and treats. The table was filled with gifts from the gift Fairy. She comes every day and leaves everyone presents!
The kids headed to a birthday party for the 'Mayor' of GKTW, Mr. Clayton. There were clowns, dancing, face painting, all you can eat snow cones, ice cream and other activities. I left to attend an orientation meeting and receive our passes to 7 Parks!! Universal Studios, Disney World, Epcott, Sea World, Aquatica... I can't even remember the rest! At every park we will have a photographer following us around and a CD of pictures will be given to use of all the pictures they take! GKTW will also give us an HD camera to use while we are here and then at the end of our trip, they will transfer all the pictures and video onto a CD and DVD.
Orientation was when I got overwhelmed! (for the second time) There were 5 moms in the meeting. The volunteer went through all the activities that are available for us and talked about how the Villa came to be. There are 1500 Volunteers needed a week to run this place!! Volunteers range in age from 8-98. They are everywhere and they are so happy and helpful. It is unbelievable! I got a little choked up in the meeting. I just felt like we didn't even deserve all this love and attention.
I looked over to the lady beside me and she was crying too. It was such a humbling place to be. All these moms and dads who have sacrificed so much and watched their child suffer through horrible, life changing illnesses. You could almost feel these moms drop the weight of the world in House of Hearts. We were all so grateful for the kindness and love of so many people. It was like nothing I have experienced before.
There are 140 families here. To walk around these grounds, you can see the scars on some kids that life has left behind. For others, it's hard to tell what they might be dealing with but one thing you can't miss is the feeling of strength and courage that exists here. You can feel it! You can see the tell tale signs in the tired eyes of the parents that life has not been easy and the road has been rough but despite all that, there is joy here. So much joy and so much happiness!
We went to a comedy show tonight here at the Villa and afterwards, we went for Ice Cream. Everything is free and all you can eat. The young man helping us seemed an unlikely volunteer. I said to him, "What made you want to come here to volunteer?"
I was not expecting his answer.
"Community Service. I hated coming here. It was the worst community service they could have asked me to do but I had no choice." then, his eyes softened and he said, "Something changed in me after awhile and when I had completed my time, I loved being here. Now I come three days a week just because I want to."
Oh my gosh, I could hardly keep the tears back. I said, "I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart! I think you are amazing to give of yourself like this when there are a hundred other things you could be doing! You have made a difference to me and to my children. Thank you so much!" I wanted to hug him but that would have been awkward since there was a counter between us, oh and he was a 17 year old boy and a total stranger!
There are no words to express the depth of gratitude I am feeling tonight. We are so blessed and so humbled by all this love. Thank you Make A Wish, for granting us this little break, to feel the joy that we have been so desperately searching for lately!
As you walk in the House of Hearts, this plaque is on the wall. They live their mission statement perfectly.
Before we got off the plane, the pilot invited Sam to sit in the cock pit. He showed him all the instruments and let him 'play' with the controls. It was so cool!
We pulled up to GKTW and were greeted by the nicest people. They handed Sam a stuffed Mickey Mouse and immediately offered us a free meal catered by Perkins Restaurant. He directed us to the Gingerbread House where more volunteers helped us through the buffet lines. They even carried our trays to our little dollhouse sized table and chairs! It was so cute. Thousands and thousands of stuffed animals line the dining room.
| Give Kids The World |
| Sam and Mickey in the House of Hearts |
From there we went back to the House of Hearts to get our room key. They took us via golf cart to our villa. It's literally a two bedroom house! The kids have a giant private bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and huge shower. There's a full kitchen and the fridge is stocked with soda and treats. The table was filled with gifts from the gift Fairy. She comes every day and leaves everyone presents!
The kids headed to a birthday party for the 'Mayor' of GKTW, Mr. Clayton. There were clowns, dancing, face painting, all you can eat snow cones, ice cream and other activities. I left to attend an orientation meeting and receive our passes to 7 Parks!! Universal Studios, Disney World, Epcott, Sea World, Aquatica... I can't even remember the rest! At every park we will have a photographer following us around and a CD of pictures will be given to use of all the pictures they take! GKTW will also give us an HD camera to use while we are here and then at the end of our trip, they will transfer all the pictures and video onto a CD and DVD.
Orientation was when I got overwhelmed! (for the second time) There were 5 moms in the meeting. The volunteer went through all the activities that are available for us and talked about how the Villa came to be. There are 1500 Volunteers needed a week to run this place!! Volunteers range in age from 8-98. They are everywhere and they are so happy and helpful. It is unbelievable! I got a little choked up in the meeting. I just felt like we didn't even deserve all this love and attention.
I looked over to the lady beside me and she was crying too. It was such a humbling place to be. All these moms and dads who have sacrificed so much and watched their child suffer through horrible, life changing illnesses. You could almost feel these moms drop the weight of the world in House of Hearts. We were all so grateful for the kindness and love of so many people. It was like nothing I have experienced before.
There are 140 families here. To walk around these grounds, you can see the scars on some kids that life has left behind. For others, it's hard to tell what they might be dealing with but one thing you can't miss is the feeling of strength and courage that exists here. You can feel it! You can see the tell tale signs in the tired eyes of the parents that life has not been easy and the road has been rough but despite all that, there is joy here. So much joy and so much happiness!
We went to a comedy show tonight here at the Villa and afterwards, we went for Ice Cream. Everything is free and all you can eat. The young man helping us seemed an unlikely volunteer. I said to him, "What made you want to come here to volunteer?"
I was not expecting his answer.
"Community Service. I hated coming here. It was the worst community service they could have asked me to do but I had no choice." then, his eyes softened and he said, "Something changed in me after awhile and when I had completed my time, I loved being here. Now I come three days a week just because I want to."
Oh my gosh, I could hardly keep the tears back. I said, "I just want to thank you from the bottom of my heart! I think you are amazing to give of yourself like this when there are a hundred other things you could be doing! You have made a difference to me and to my children. Thank you so much!" I wanted to hug him but that would have been awkward since there was a counter between us, oh and he was a 17 year old boy and a total stranger!
| My Boys outside the Gingerbread House |
| Shrek and Donkey just hanging out |
There are no words to express the depth of gratitude I am feeling tonight. We are so blessed and so humbled by all this love. Thank you Make A Wish, for granting us this little break, to feel the joy that we have been so desperately searching for lately!
As you walk in the House of Hearts, this plaque is on the wall. They live their mission statement perfectly.
| It says, "You have got to give of yourself..not money but the essence of yourself. That is what makes life meaningful." Henri Landwirth- Founder of Give Kids The World |
I love their mission statement. I'm putting that on my wall. What an incredible experience for you guys! I am so happy for you! :')
ReplyDeleteKathy,
ReplyDeleteYou and your kids have been through so much in the last 21 years. You are also a very giving person in spite of your trials. You deserve this opportunity to all relax and let others take care of you! Enjoy it!
the story about the 17 year old made me tear up! I love that so many people volunteer their time for things like this! So glad you guys are getting spoiled and pampered. sounds like you've got a fun and busy week ahead!
ReplyDelete