Reality sinks in
Well, we are back to the grind.
Seriously, not even 30 minutes after we stepped off the plane, the kids were all congested and coughing. Darn allergies and this desert heat. They have been sleeping and napping for the past two days! We played so hard, they are completely wiped out! I was prepared for this. We never let a great moment slip by without sucking the life out of it!
It was funny, Spencer said to Sam as we were driving home, "Sam, I'm going to tell you this, the sinking feeling you are having now that your wish is over will only last for about a week and then you'll be okay!"
I had to chuckle at that. Most people love 'coming home' but not us.
We have been full force into getting Spencer ready leave. The countdown has begun and I am trying to pace my crying out to just a few minutes a day rather than buckets of tears every day! I want to make sure I have some for the big day! Just 6 days until that boy is out of here and on his mission.
It occurred to me that I am not completely ready from a medical stand point to send him off. This afternoon, we saw our Oncologist and ran some blood work to make sure things are at least stable. His white count has come down some from being so abnormally high. It's hard to say if this is a good thing or not. Since Spencer has chemotaxis, (the white cells he has don't move too well to do their job, those lazy suckers!) it's really hard to get a complete and accurate picture from a CBC. It could be that the infection is getting under control or that his body is just giving up trying to mount a response. There is still a left shift in his counts so something is going on still.
His other counts are hanging in the low normal range. His platelets were low, quite a bit lower than normal for him but not dangerously low. I was trying to ignore that fact. Spencer was looking at the numbers and he said, "Those platelets don't look good, is that okay?"
"Rats, Spencer, you weren't suppose to see that!"
He'll be okay but I sense he is really worried about it. I'm not sure how to go about talking to him, he rarely shares his real feelings and I usually have to drag things out of him...like me. He hasn't been feeling well the past two days; lots of nausea and non stop diarrhea so maybe his quietness is due to that. I finally convinced him to go lay down. He never, ever takes naps but he really needs one!
I still worry about the bone marrow situation and the fact that it is only functioning at 15% or there about. In the fall, if he is having more good days than bad, we will forgo the bone marrow biopsy the doctors are itching to get on him. We will just have to take it as it comes.
It was a weird feeling to leave our Oncologist's office, knowing that it was the last time I would have the blessing of taking care of my son, being there for blood tests, visits with doctors, making sure he is okay. He will have to take over his own care and I will only be able to love him and care for him from a distance.
Well, sure glad I learned to like roller coasters because I'm about to get on another one...
Seriously, not even 30 minutes after we stepped off the plane, the kids were all congested and coughing. Darn allergies and this desert heat. They have been sleeping and napping for the past two days! We played so hard, they are completely wiped out! I was prepared for this. We never let a great moment slip by without sucking the life out of it!
It was funny, Spencer said to Sam as we were driving home, "Sam, I'm going to tell you this, the sinking feeling you are having now that your wish is over will only last for about a week and then you'll be okay!"
I had to chuckle at that. Most people love 'coming home' but not us.
We have been full force into getting Spencer ready leave. The countdown has begun and I am trying to pace my crying out to just a few minutes a day rather than buckets of tears every day! I want to make sure I have some for the big day! Just 6 days until that boy is out of here and on his mission.
It occurred to me that I am not completely ready from a medical stand point to send him off. This afternoon, we saw our Oncologist and ran some blood work to make sure things are at least stable. His white count has come down some from being so abnormally high. It's hard to say if this is a good thing or not. Since Spencer has chemotaxis, (the white cells he has don't move too well to do their job, those lazy suckers!) it's really hard to get a complete and accurate picture from a CBC. It could be that the infection is getting under control or that his body is just giving up trying to mount a response. There is still a left shift in his counts so something is going on still.
His other counts are hanging in the low normal range. His platelets were low, quite a bit lower than normal for him but not dangerously low. I was trying to ignore that fact. Spencer was looking at the numbers and he said, "Those platelets don't look good, is that okay?"
"Rats, Spencer, you weren't suppose to see that!"
He'll be okay but I sense he is really worried about it. I'm not sure how to go about talking to him, he rarely shares his real feelings and I usually have to drag things out of him...like me. He hasn't been feeling well the past two days; lots of nausea and non stop diarrhea so maybe his quietness is due to that. I finally convinced him to go lay down. He never, ever takes naps but he really needs one!
I still worry about the bone marrow situation and the fact that it is only functioning at 15% or there about. In the fall, if he is having more good days than bad, we will forgo the bone marrow biopsy the doctors are itching to get on him. We will just have to take it as it comes.
It was a weird feeling to leave our Oncologist's office, knowing that it was the last time I would have the blessing of taking care of my son, being there for blood tests, visits with doctors, making sure he is okay. He will have to take over his own care and I will only be able to love him and care for him from a distance.
Well, sure glad I learned to like roller coasters because I'm about to get on another one...
I am excited to see the blessings that will be poured out upon your family with Spencer in the mission field. You will continue to be blessed beyond measure as Spencer serves the Lord. We love you all! Tammy
ReplyDelete