Liver Results
I actually got results back a few days ago but I've been letting things percolate in my head a little.
So, the official word is Hepatitis. I'm not exactly sure at this point where we go from here. It's not great news but it's not the worst either. There are still some more tests pending. It looks like it could be an autoimmune hepatitis but again, until the doctor puts it all together, I can't say 100%. I'm guessing this is going to drag on, as they will likely bring on the Immunologist and possibly some other specialties, but again, it's just a guessing game right now.
The upside to this is that his liver enzymes are trending down towards normal, but some of his iron markers are indicating that some liver damage has been done. Hopefully, it is minimal. Fingers crossed. They will recheck all these numbers in 3 months to make sure things continue to settle down. I'm still waiting on the final verdict from the radiologist on the Fibroscan. Our doctor did a quick read on it but a thorough study is pending.
There we have it. It's a strange thing to feel relieved when you read on the report in bold letters- Hepatitis. That's terrible really! If you or I read that, it would be a mammoth size blow and take us days to regroup. Given the alternatives right now, it's the lesser evil.
We always seem to dwell in this odd place of incongruence and a game of Would You Rather, that never ends. In a way, I think its a game the brain naturally does to make sense and soften the blows that come fast and frequent. We trick ourselves into thinking things are better than they are.
In the parenting department, I am failing miserably at handling all of this despite my best efforts. I have fallen short at empathy and care for all the kids. I am in need of all the King's men as I sit here watching them all kind of fall apart before my very eyes. However, I am getting really good at heart felt apologies and they are nice to offer me second chances and more.
It's times like this when our family motto really takes on a literal meaning- It's better to stumble down the right road, than run down the wrong one. Actually, I only hope we are on the right road but no guarantees!
So, the official word is Hepatitis. I'm not exactly sure at this point where we go from here. It's not great news but it's not the worst either. There are still some more tests pending. It looks like it could be an autoimmune hepatitis but again, until the doctor puts it all together, I can't say 100%. I'm guessing this is going to drag on, as they will likely bring on the Immunologist and possibly some other specialties, but again, it's just a guessing game right now.
The upside to this is that his liver enzymes are trending down towards normal, but some of his iron markers are indicating that some liver damage has been done. Hopefully, it is minimal. Fingers crossed. They will recheck all these numbers in 3 months to make sure things continue to settle down. I'm still waiting on the final verdict from the radiologist on the Fibroscan. Our doctor did a quick read on it but a thorough study is pending.
There we have it. It's a strange thing to feel relieved when you read on the report in bold letters- Hepatitis. That's terrible really! If you or I read that, it would be a mammoth size blow and take us days to regroup. Given the alternatives right now, it's the lesser evil.
We always seem to dwell in this odd place of incongruence and a game of Would You Rather, that never ends. In a way, I think its a game the brain naturally does to make sense and soften the blows that come fast and frequent. We trick ourselves into thinking things are better than they are.
In the parenting department, I am failing miserably at handling all of this despite my best efforts. I have fallen short at empathy and care for all the kids. I am in need of all the King's men as I sit here watching them all kind of fall apart before my very eyes. However, I am getting really good at heart felt apologies and they are nice to offer me second chances and more.
It's times like this when our family motto really takes on a literal meaning- It's better to stumble down the right road, than run down the wrong one. Actually, I only hope we are on the right road but no guarantees!
Comments
Post a Comment