Cardiology
Today was Cardiology.
We arrived a little early and they were a lot behind schedule so it made for a long wait. For the first time in 3 years, the large waiting room was nearly packed. There were very few empty seats and several people in wheelchairs filled the aisles. They came out to get one guy and as he and the nurse were walking by, the guy said, "Did my doctor die? I think he must have died since I've been sitting here for two hours!" The whole place erupted in snickering as the nurse calmly said, "I'm sure it does feel like that but I assure you he is alive and well. We've had a busy morning and we sincerely apologize." I thought she handled it well but that old guy wins the award for funny today.
I love our Cardiologist. His whole demeanor makes me feel completely confident in him. He is soft spoken and has kind, gentle eyes that smile. He is quite serious so I make it my personal challenge to make him laugh before we leave. Today was funny.
First, the serious stuff! Spencer's electrical system in his heart is a train wreck. Oh, speaking of wrecks, his accident did not damage the pacemaker or the wires! Alleluia! Anyways, his pacemaker is taking care of the really low episodes when his heart forgets to beat but it doesn't control the tachycardia, those beats that near the 200 bpm mark and in some cases above.
They have gone through the last four weeks of data they've collected from his 24 hour loop recorder and the pacemaker. They think the big episode of him losing consciousness the night before his biopsy in December was due to his heart going too fast. He has had several other episodes since; a big one just last night, when his heart when from 70 to 207 bpm in literally one beat! That is a problem.
The official diagnosis is Atrial Tachycardia but he has Sinus Tachycardia as well and then of course Sinus Bradycardia that is being managed with the pacemaker. The doctor is hesitant to start any meds to see if we can correct this, until they sort out the liver and pancreas problems. He is aware of all the other issues and said he will be tracking and watching the next few weeks unfold from the side lines.
Spencer is lucky the accident didn't do significant damage to his heart or pacemaker- blessed. He gently reminded Spencer that he needed to be a little more cautious than a normal person in the activities he chooses. Spence asked if he could still go sky diving next month and climb Mt. Kilimanjaro in June...(His company is sending a team to Africa to climb and film)
When Spencer had asked the questions, Dr. F glanced over at me before answering. As we made eye contact, I nodded my head and whispered the words..."Say NO! PLEASE?" He turned to Spencer and said with a chuckle, "Well, you can but you need to be careful."
"C'mon!" I said. "You are suppose to be on Team MOM!" He laughed and reminded Spencer that in his condition, it's going to be tricky, especially the climb. I know there is no stopping this kid of mine.
I'm a little nervous about his heart situation and the fact it makes him pass out at random times but again, there is nothing I can do about it.
Before we left the hospital, I went to patient services and filed an official complaint over the GI department and the way they are handling things. I wasn't mean and ugly, just stated the facts and hoped that we could come to an acceptable alternative to driving 45 minutes out of the way, off campus, to see a new GI doctor. The girl I met with agreed that it seems unrealistic and wondered if there were other circumstances they hadn't communicated. Hopefully, I will hear back from her in the next few days. She seemed to agree that since it is a research and teaching hospital, it seems strange they would turn us away.
We grabbed a very late lunch and Spencer drove us to our rental car and we said goodbye. Shelbie and I have always wanted to see the Sloths at the Aquarium so we made a mad dash before heading home. It was worth it!
Now, my work day is just starting. My second all nighter in a couple of weeks! UGH.
We arrived a little early and they were a lot behind schedule so it made for a long wait. For the first time in 3 years, the large waiting room was nearly packed. There were very few empty seats and several people in wheelchairs filled the aisles. They came out to get one guy and as he and the nurse were walking by, the guy said, "Did my doctor die? I think he must have died since I've been sitting here for two hours!" The whole place erupted in snickering as the nurse calmly said, "I'm sure it does feel like that but I assure you he is alive and well. We've had a busy morning and we sincerely apologize." I thought she handled it well but that old guy wins the award for funny today.
I love our Cardiologist. His whole demeanor makes me feel completely confident in him. He is soft spoken and has kind, gentle eyes that smile. He is quite serious so I make it my personal challenge to make him laugh before we leave. Today was funny.
First, the serious stuff! Spencer's electrical system in his heart is a train wreck. Oh, speaking of wrecks, his accident did not damage the pacemaker or the wires! Alleluia! Anyways, his pacemaker is taking care of the really low episodes when his heart forgets to beat but it doesn't control the tachycardia, those beats that near the 200 bpm mark and in some cases above.
They have gone through the last four weeks of data they've collected from his 24 hour loop recorder and the pacemaker. They think the big episode of him losing consciousness the night before his biopsy in December was due to his heart going too fast. He has had several other episodes since; a big one just last night, when his heart when from 70 to 207 bpm in literally one beat! That is a problem.
The official diagnosis is Atrial Tachycardia but he has Sinus Tachycardia as well and then of course Sinus Bradycardia that is being managed with the pacemaker. The doctor is hesitant to start any meds to see if we can correct this, until they sort out the liver and pancreas problems. He is aware of all the other issues and said he will be tracking and watching the next few weeks unfold from the side lines.
![]() |
| Spencer refusing to smile while his pacemaker is interrogated and downloaded. |
Spencer is lucky the accident didn't do significant damage to his heart or pacemaker- blessed. He gently reminded Spencer that he needed to be a little more cautious than a normal person in the activities he chooses. Spence asked if he could still go sky diving next month and climb Mt. Kilimanjaro in June...(His company is sending a team to Africa to climb and film)
When Spencer had asked the questions, Dr. F glanced over at me before answering. As we made eye contact, I nodded my head and whispered the words..."Say NO! PLEASE?" He turned to Spencer and said with a chuckle, "Well, you can but you need to be careful."
"C'mon!" I said. "You are suppose to be on Team MOM!" He laughed and reminded Spencer that in his condition, it's going to be tricky, especially the climb. I know there is no stopping this kid of mine.
I'm a little nervous about his heart situation and the fact it makes him pass out at random times but again, there is nothing I can do about it.
Before we left the hospital, I went to patient services and filed an official complaint over the GI department and the way they are handling things. I wasn't mean and ugly, just stated the facts and hoped that we could come to an acceptable alternative to driving 45 minutes out of the way, off campus, to see a new GI doctor. The girl I met with agreed that it seems unrealistic and wondered if there were other circumstances they hadn't communicated. Hopefully, I will hear back from her in the next few days. She seemed to agree that since it is a research and teaching hospital, it seems strange they would turn us away.
We grabbed a very late lunch and Spencer drove us to our rental car and we said goodbye. Shelbie and I have always wanted to see the Sloths at the Aquarium so we made a mad dash before heading home. It was worth it!
| There was another Sloth sleeping in the basket above Shelbie. |
| Snow Leopard |
![]() |
| Dinner time for the Sloth. They eat upside down and their hair grows upside down too! Awkward little creatures and not at all graceful, just sort of lumbering through life. |


Comments
Post a Comment