Making Changes
Tonight is an epic night...
For the first time in 5 years, I have not had to put in a 14 hour work day! It feels so weird. It makes me wonder how in the world I do these long days, day in and day out. I still put in a good 10 hours but still...
I knew this past weekend, I needed to start making some changes in my life before I die of a heart attack from the stress and work. So, I took the plunge yesterday and officially hired a girl to do my night jobs one night a week, at least through the rest of the year. I'm hoping I won't miss the income too much or at least can make up for the losses some other way. I think I'll be fine, nothing that a little faith won't take care of.
It is interesting to me how resilient we can be at times. Things don't always seem impossible until you look back at what you did and realize there is no way you could have done it without a lot of help from God. I remembered tonight back when I was working full time right after I got divorced. I was determined to not miss being at the crossroads of my kids' life so with the blessing from my employer, I went in to work at 4:30 am so I could take my lunch at 7:15 am and run home, wake the kids up, feed them breakfast and drive them to school. I would work the rest of the day without a break so I could then leave the office at 3:00pm and pick them up from school and spend the rest of the afternoon and evening with them. I did that for years. It wasn't until the first day after being laid off, waking up that early seemed next to impossible! I don't think I could ever do that again.
I've been pretty worried about a few of my jobs that I have fallen so far behind on and the other ones I'm barely keeping up on, have been hard to keep organized and on top of what needs to be done. I have a huge project I'm working on in two other cities. If I screw these up, it will be bad news for many reasons. I'm not at all worried about the money loss but my reputation. I get more referrals from my commercial projects than anything. Three people have been fired from the project over the past few weeks because they dropped the ball on things or didn't follow through. This week, they haven't been responding to me as usual so I was panicked that I was next!
Somehow, as a tender mercy, when I met with them this afternoon, they said how pleased they are with my work and I have rescued the project. I am highly suspicious of that but I was relieved that I've been able to keep them happy. I'm so grateful that even my less than usual attention has been enough until I can get caught up.
From day to day, I don't think I have the energy to do what I need to do but somehow, I manage. Not somehow...I am truly being blessed during these hard times. Today, I feel a little like the fog has lifted from the incredible worry and stress of the past few weeks. I know it's the constant prayer that has saved us.
The kids are hanging in there too. Spencer seems happier today than I've heard him sound in awhile and he told me tonight he is coming home this weekend! I am so excited. This job that seemed so perfect has been a let down and now it I'm not sure it's going to work out but all we can do is wait and see. They alluded today, that they won't be able to pay him the promised salary until January! Who does that? Who hires someone and then a week into the job, make them feel like they won't get a pay check for two months? Poor kid! This is the way it goes...my only advice is wait and watch. Let the wonders of God unfold. There is a reason he is there and though it doesn't make sense yet, it will. Here's hoping anyways!
For the first time in 5 years, I have not had to put in a 14 hour work day! It feels so weird. It makes me wonder how in the world I do these long days, day in and day out. I still put in a good 10 hours but still...
I knew this past weekend, I needed to start making some changes in my life before I die of a heart attack from the stress and work. So, I took the plunge yesterday and officially hired a girl to do my night jobs one night a week, at least through the rest of the year. I'm hoping I won't miss the income too much or at least can make up for the losses some other way. I think I'll be fine, nothing that a little faith won't take care of.
It is interesting to me how resilient we can be at times. Things don't always seem impossible until you look back at what you did and realize there is no way you could have done it without a lot of help from God. I remembered tonight back when I was working full time right after I got divorced. I was determined to not miss being at the crossroads of my kids' life so with the blessing from my employer, I went in to work at 4:30 am so I could take my lunch at 7:15 am and run home, wake the kids up, feed them breakfast and drive them to school. I would work the rest of the day without a break so I could then leave the office at 3:00pm and pick them up from school and spend the rest of the afternoon and evening with them. I did that for years. It wasn't until the first day after being laid off, waking up that early seemed next to impossible! I don't think I could ever do that again.
I've been pretty worried about a few of my jobs that I have fallen so far behind on and the other ones I'm barely keeping up on, have been hard to keep organized and on top of what needs to be done. I have a huge project I'm working on in two other cities. If I screw these up, it will be bad news for many reasons. I'm not at all worried about the money loss but my reputation. I get more referrals from my commercial projects than anything. Three people have been fired from the project over the past few weeks because they dropped the ball on things or didn't follow through. This week, they haven't been responding to me as usual so I was panicked that I was next!
Somehow, as a tender mercy, when I met with them this afternoon, they said how pleased they are with my work and I have rescued the project. I am highly suspicious of that but I was relieved that I've been able to keep them happy. I'm so grateful that even my less than usual attention has been enough until I can get caught up.
From day to day, I don't think I have the energy to do what I need to do but somehow, I manage. Not somehow...I am truly being blessed during these hard times. Today, I feel a little like the fog has lifted from the incredible worry and stress of the past few weeks. I know it's the constant prayer that has saved us.
The kids are hanging in there too. Spencer seems happier today than I've heard him sound in awhile and he told me tonight he is coming home this weekend! I am so excited. This job that seemed so perfect has been a let down and now it I'm not sure it's going to work out but all we can do is wait and see. They alluded today, that they won't be able to pay him the promised salary until January! Who does that? Who hires someone and then a week into the job, make them feel like they won't get a pay check for two months? Poor kid! This is the way it goes...my only advice is wait and watch. Let the wonders of God unfold. There is a reason he is there and though it doesn't make sense yet, it will. Here's hoping anyways!
Comments
Post a Comment