Giving Thanks...

Yep...A Christmas post the week of Thanksgiving. 

What a week it's been so...what else could I do but deck the halls and Fa La La.

Here's the thing I've been thinking about.  I use to be that grumbly person who complained about Christmas crowding out Thanksgiving and even in some cases, Halloween!   Every year, Shelbie begs me on November 1st to put up the tree and decorations and every year, I simply say 'No! It's way too early for Christmas.'

This year, I've spent all year thinking about Christmas.  More specifically, thinking about Christ and how, without Him, I would be so lost.   I've thought about how He was born so humbly and lived so simply, so kindly, so lovingly... He lived the way I ultimately want to live. He lived for me and He lived for you. 

As Thanksgiving is approaching, I thought about all I am thankful for.  You can come up with a list covering all sorts of things to be thankful for.  At times this year, I have had to really use some creativity to find things to be thankful for.  There's plenty but sometimes, it's more like a scavenger hunt  than a cornucopia of goodness spilling out around us. 

On Friday, I sat in a laundromat watching some clothes tumble and couldn't stop thinking about how I love this time of year.  I love that people just naturally become softer and more gentle and the air smells sweet with all things warm and good and hearts are filled and full.  I love that Christ crowds out the pettiness, anger, shortcomings and sadness.  We lean into understanding each other more, lifting and carrying burdens that haven't been shared all year, for some.  It's almost as if we all try to equalize life and the seemingly unfairness that comes with it.  

So anyways, that's why I decided it would be perfect to have Christmas up the week when we really focus on gratitude, and it feels so cozy!  I want to crowd up our life with Christ. We worked on it together, laughed as we tangled ourselves up in lights and listened to holiday tunes while Snapchatting with Spence.  It was an easygoing and much needed night together...to be grateful for Christ. 

The Santa corner.  The porcelain sleeping Santa was made by my mom and my favorite.  The Santa figurine is our favorite real life Santa who passed away two years ago so we honor Mike Powell...a.k.a Santa.

My skinny tree in the corner of my postage stamp room


The Nativity


Of course, my favorite tree decor..I love my little elves and jingle bells. 
So...how are you going to let Christ crowd out the noise as 2017 winds down?


Photobucket

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts