Skip to main content

Santa lives on

This year, we said goodbye to a lot of special people.  I would confidently say that this was a year of losses;  my grandma, my aunt and so many friends I had become close to.  One of our greatest losses was that of Santa...AKA Mike.

There will never be another man like Mike.  He was the town Santa but more importantly, he was our personal Santa.  He has been coming to our family for 20 years!  The kids believed in Santa much longer than the average kid, it was almost embarrassing.  Mike brought the spirit of Christ into our home year after year.  When the kids were in the hospital, Mike was there and sometimes, even dressed in his Santa suit.  

The past few weeks I have really been missing him.   This is first year, he won't be bounding through the front door with his jolly laugh and sparkly eyes.  I will admit, I found myself a little emotional a couple of weeks ago when I was looking ahead to December and what events we had planned.

Tonight, after dinner, Shelbie announced that she had a Christmas present for me to open.  The card she had written said, "Santa is still here!"  I immediately started crying...mostly because that's what I do these days...I just cry whenever I feel like it over anything I's liberating!  Anyways, I couldn't even believe my eyes when I opened the bag!   A custom, handmade sculpture of Santa!  Our Santa!  Mike!  I was so overwhelmed.  The artist got every detail of him just right!

This is from 3 years ago.

It's perfect in every way!  I love it! It made for a sweet thing on a rough day.

Spencer is obviously not any better and again, we have the undesirable complications of being in a State that doesn't readily accept my insurance.  So, our ID doc here won't just treat Spencer for C-Diff even though I'm pretty sure that is what he has...we have to do more cultures.  The soonest Spencer will be able to start treatment is going to be Monday!  I'm so frustrated. immune response or rather, still no immune response.  What a nightmare this is becoming.  To complicate matters, he starts his new job on Saturday.  I know, without question, he is going to put his job before his health.  It's just the way he is.  He will let himself down, before he lets anyone else down.  I already got the word from him tonight!

I met with my surgeon and got the bandages and dressing off.  Pathology was back and I have some tough choices to make regarding the next step in treatment.  I find myself in a complicated situation and I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do.  I have to meet with another specialist tomorrow morning and maybe I will have more information to share after that, or be willing to share.  There will definitely be more surgery but to what extent, it's too soon to tell.  This is one of those moments, when I really don't want this to be part of my story.

I really hope that by tomorrow, the path I should take becomes more clear because right now, I'm just not sure.



Popular posts from this blog

Obscure Sorrows

I sat on the bench like I usually do on Saturday mornings, the organ music was slow and quiet.  I think that's why I like playing there; its just slow and quiet.  I set the pace.  I mostly keep my eye on the music for fear of messing up but I did notice a couple walk in.  I had known them a few years ago, not well, but enough.  Enough to notice each other and say Hi.  I had heard recently that she had breast cancer.  She's likely a good 10 years younger than me.  Her red wig was striking, her eyebrows carefully in place and by all accounts, she made cancer look good.  
I had the strangest feeling I've never had before.  She has no idea, that somehow, I know all about her recent strife with cancer.  I have heard how it struck, how she deals; I know more than a distant acquaintance like me should know.   She is living this complicated, unfair, story that went off in a way she scarcely expected.  For a moment, I felt like I was an extra in her 3rd act; the struggle.  And, I wo…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…


It has been an emotional weekend!  Holy Smokes.  I need a vacation from being sensitive.

It's been months since I have been able to find my homeless friend May.

Monday, I had this overwhelming feeling that she was in trouble and it dawned on me that I should call the apartment where she was last known to be.  They didn't answer.  They didn't answer my call all week!  Finally, yesterday (Friday) they called me back.  I was afraid that they wouldn't give me any information about May since I wasn't family so I lied!  I told them she was my great Aunt.  The manager hummed and hawed and finally gave the phone to a man who wondered what I wanted with her.  After some convincing, he told me that she had been arrested and taken to the State Mental Hospital.

I was so sad!  I immediately called the State Hospital and asked if I could speak to her but of course, they can't tell me if she is there or not...and, I couldn't remember her first, legal name.  She has sever…