Biopsies Done!
You know how when you have a really important day, you can't sleep the night before? Last night was a disaster! I went to bed at 10:30 knowing I had to get up at 4:30am. By 1:30am, I was still laying there hoping to fall asleep. I was exhausted but my brain just couldn't shut off. Sometime around 2:00 I must have dozed off, only to be awaken by the dog sitting on my stomach barking like mad. I don't know what he was barking at but he was definitely in attack mode. It took me a few minutes to settle him down.
I fell back to sleep and at 3:30 a house behind mine and about 3 down had their motion detector light go off in the back of their house. I thought someone had come and flipped on my bedroom light. It was unbelievable how that light from so far away flooded my room and woke me up. What do they think they are, a lighthouse? Hello...we live in a desert! I was so mad so I laid there, wide awake until my alarm went off at 4:30.
Okay, so back to the point of my post. Things started out pretty good. The nurses were great! Their nurse was a friend of mine from college days and she was so good. I loved the two anesthesiologists we had. Both are new and I will definitely request them again. They actually called the Docs in Seattle like I had asked them to do.
We ran into a few snags when it was Shelbie's turn. Since she was fasting and hadn't taken her morning medications, she was getting pretty sick with acid reflux. So bad in fact, she was having a hard time breathing and was in a bit of pain. The anesthesiologist was concerned about this since they were only going to use a mask not IV meds. He called Seattle again and they decided the risk of using Propofol was lower than the risk of using the mask and losing her airway or having her aspirate the acid into her lungs. So, Shelbie had to be intubated. That created a few unexpected problems and she was in recovery a long time until they could get things stable.
Shelbie's bone marrow procedure took the longest too. He had a hard time getting a good sized core of bone out. A small vein was knicked during Spencer's biopsy so he has a little more bleeding than usual. He is also having more pain than he has before. Sam hasn't even asked for pain medication since we got home. Other than really sore, barky throats and a sore back for all of them, in differing degrees, things could be better but they could also be worse.
I am glad this is done. Right now, I am exhausted and really haven't thought about what the results could be. I am hoping for stable right now and no increase in cell abnormalities. I have heard that kids on the Mito cocktail actually see improvements...sometimes. That would be nice to hear for a change.
I have a million things to do before Wednesday but I am having a really hard time getting focused and switching gears. The kids have been watching movies all day and I suspect tonight will be more of the same. The house is a disaster but who cares?
I fell back to sleep and at 3:30 a house behind mine and about 3 down had their motion detector light go off in the back of their house. I thought someone had come and flipped on my bedroom light. It was unbelievable how that light from so far away flooded my room and woke me up. What do they think they are, a lighthouse? Hello...we live in a desert! I was so mad so I laid there, wide awake until my alarm went off at 4:30.
Okay, so back to the point of my post. Things started out pretty good. The nurses were great! Their nurse was a friend of mine from college days and she was so good. I loved the two anesthesiologists we had. Both are new and I will definitely request them again. They actually called the Docs in Seattle like I had asked them to do.
We ran into a few snags when it was Shelbie's turn. Since she was fasting and hadn't taken her morning medications, she was getting pretty sick with acid reflux. So bad in fact, she was having a hard time breathing and was in a bit of pain. The anesthesiologist was concerned about this since they were only going to use a mask not IV meds. He called Seattle again and they decided the risk of using Propofol was lower than the risk of using the mask and losing her airway or having her aspirate the acid into her lungs. So, Shelbie had to be intubated. That created a few unexpected problems and she was in recovery a long time until they could get things stable.
Shelbie's bone marrow procedure took the longest too. He had a hard time getting a good sized core of bone out. A small vein was knicked during Spencer's biopsy so he has a little more bleeding than usual. He is also having more pain than he has before. Sam hasn't even asked for pain medication since we got home. Other than really sore, barky throats and a sore back for all of them, in differing degrees, things could be better but they could also be worse.
| Cool Bair Paw socks |
| Spencer on Versed. Still has that mischievous smile. |
| I hate this view!!! It's the worst part of any procedure...letting them go into the hands of someone other than me. |
I have a million things to do before Wednesday but I am having a really hard time getting focused and switching gears. The kids have been watching movies all day and I suspect tonight will be more of the same. The house is a disaster but who cares?
What a rough day for all of you! So sorry! Poor Shelbie!! :( Keeping you all in our prayers!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like quite a day! i'm thinking of you guys and I hope that things go smoothly for awhile for you guys (for once!).
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking about you lately. I miss getting to visit with you and Shelby at out lunches. I am sorry to hear that things continue to be so rough. You and your family will be in our prayers.
ReplyDelete