Hmmm...

Things have been quieter this week, only one trip to the doctor so far!  Happy about that so now I have some time to do a little thinking about things and believe me, there is no shortage of deep thoughts right now. 

I haven't been feeling awesome for the last several months and just before leaving for Seattle, found out that my body is just not functioning as it should be.  Mainly, my ovaries have given up their job to keep my hormones in check.  I'm sure that doesn't explain all the discomfort I continue to feel but it's a start. 

This news came at a very significant time.  When we met with the specialists in Seattle, I mentioned my current problems because they are doing a lot of research on our family and have instructed me to keep them up to date as changes in my health or family health occurs.  I let them peruse my lab reports and such.  I also gave them a little history on my family as well.  The neurologist was intrigued because ovarian failure, as he referred to it is often seen in the mother whose children have mitochondrial disease.  According to the Oncologist, it is a common sign of bone marrow failure too. 

So, they advised me that there seems to be a correlation between ovarian failure and breast cancer.  Well, I've already had three lumpectomies so I inquired about what my odds look like of getting cancer.  The doctor said that it would be likely but ..."it's not a big deal, usually not fatal so you just do the chemo, radiation and you'll be fine."

Seriously?  He was serious.  So, I wonder, do I really want to wait around for cancer to strike or cut to the chase, (no pun intended) and get rid of those malfunctioning parts sooner than later?  What would you do?

If I was alone, no kids, no one to worry about, I would just sit and wait but I'm not alone and I have a huge responsibility to take care of myself so I can be around to take care of my kids.  It's upsetting to them when I get sick, even a bad cold.  They worry, they wonder what will happen if I am ever gone from their lives.  I wonder too.  There is no one else. 

Obviously, I need to get some professional advice because it's a big decision to make alone but these are the kinds of things that fill my mind.  It really doesn't end.  Chronic illness creates a network of concerns even on the good days when everyone is feeling pretty good. 
Photobucket

Comments

  1. Wow, that is a huge decision. I can totally see why you would do it--but I can also understand why you wouldn't. I'm sure your answer will become more clear as you do some research. I hope you feel better soon! That is a lot of stress to deal with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts