Firefly
It was quite some time ago, when I met my first Firefly. I remember reading about Fireflies, but it wasn't until I saw one up close, that I could see how magical they were. On that warm 4th of July night, the dark sky all around us lit up in surprises of light. The kids chased those lightening bug constellations across the grass, late into the evening.
Lightening bugs, as they are often referred to, light up to attract another lightening bug of the same species. Scientists have found a species of Fireflies like none other in Indonesia. Rather than lighting up sporadically to catch the attention of another Firefly, this species lights up simultaneously. There is no 'leader' they just light up together. They found that 82% of these Fireflies find companionship in a night compared to the American species who only experience a 3% success rate when they go it alone and light up whenever they want.
So, what's the point?
The point is, we get farther when we have a tribe, a clan, a group, a safe place to shine. When we work together and help each other, we have more success in life. I like the idea of the Indonesian Fireflies and I wish we could all be more like them.
In family news...we are entering into week 6 of the kids being sick. Spencer is still pretty sick. He's down 5 more pounds in the last two weeks. Work is becoming harder and harder for him to do. Sam sounds horrible but he thinks he is improving and Shelbie is into week two of her virus. No one has been to the doctor so we are just toughing it out. I hope this isn't a theme for this winter.
I found out on Saturday that the woman suing me for $25,000 settled at $8600. I'm not happy with her at all. I'm trying really hard to let go of the ill feelings I have towards her but it might take me a little longer before I can move on.
Still no resolve on the health insurance battle. I didn't even follow up today because I wasn't prepared to hear more bad news.
So, that is where things are at this week. Two more weeks until we head back to Salt Lake and finalize Shelbie's treatment.
Lightening bugs, as they are often referred to, light up to attract another lightening bug of the same species. Scientists have found a species of Fireflies like none other in Indonesia. Rather than lighting up sporadically to catch the attention of another Firefly, this species lights up simultaneously. There is no 'leader' they just light up together. They found that 82% of these Fireflies find companionship in a night compared to the American species who only experience a 3% success rate when they go it alone and light up whenever they want.
So, what's the point?
The point is, we get farther when we have a tribe, a clan, a group, a safe place to shine. When we work together and help each other, we have more success in life. I like the idea of the Indonesian Fireflies and I wish we could all be more like them.
In family news...we are entering into week 6 of the kids being sick. Spencer is still pretty sick. He's down 5 more pounds in the last two weeks. Work is becoming harder and harder for him to do. Sam sounds horrible but he thinks he is improving and Shelbie is into week two of her virus. No one has been to the doctor so we are just toughing it out. I hope this isn't a theme for this winter.
I found out on Saturday that the woman suing me for $25,000 settled at $8600. I'm not happy with her at all. I'm trying really hard to let go of the ill feelings I have towards her but it might take me a little longer before I can move on.
Still no resolve on the health insurance battle. I didn't even follow up today because I wasn't prepared to hear more bad news.
So, that is where things are at this week. Two more weeks until we head back to Salt Lake and finalize Shelbie's treatment.
Comments
Post a Comment