Bloom Where You're Planted
Every year, it seems, I come back around to this notion of blooming where you are planted. I am always intrigued by people who successfully pull this off, in fact, I search out people who are doing this because I want to be that person. I try to 'bloom' where I am, digging deep to accept what is, but I often fall short.
I follow a man on Instagram who was diagnosed with ALS-I'm not sure how long ago but I have watched him deteriorate before my eyes. Contrary, he has not only bloomed but blossomed in the diagnosis of ALS. I'm sure he and his wife and family have their moments of despair but they have really suffered well, at least in the glimpses of living they share. They aren't just existing, they are living. When he could no longer feed himself, he did an Instagram series about "Who's feeding Topher". He did a series of short videos of him lip syncing with his kids and acting silly. Today, he posted a video of him dressed like Frankenstein for Halloween singing, Putting on the Ritz with his friend. He can't speak very well anymore but he can act out a killer Frankenstein.
It's so interesting to me that he is working in that space between reality and perspective. The reality is, he is dying a very slow death. Little by little, the faculties that we rely so heavily on for our mortal experience, are deteriorating. He could very well sit in his living room feeling sad and sorry and no one would blame him. Instead, he uses what tools and resources he can. He directs plays at a Utah University and continues to learn and hone his gifts and talents. He is an inspiration.
In that narrow space between reality and perspective lies this little shift that I think makes all the difference. When life throws a curve ball and transplants you to a place you had no intention of dwelling, we often say..."Why did this happen?" What would happen if instead, we asked, "What am I going to do with this?" I've already asked this question at least three times today as I see things moving in a direction I'm not exactly happy with. Just a simple shift in words, breeds hope.
Life isn't about whens and thens...it's about the here and now.
I follow a man on Instagram who was diagnosed with ALS-I'm not sure how long ago but I have watched him deteriorate before my eyes. Contrary, he has not only bloomed but blossomed in the diagnosis of ALS. I'm sure he and his wife and family have their moments of despair but they have really suffered well, at least in the glimpses of living they share. They aren't just existing, they are living. When he could no longer feed himself, he did an Instagram series about "Who's feeding Topher". He did a series of short videos of him lip syncing with his kids and acting silly. Today, he posted a video of him dressed like Frankenstein for Halloween singing, Putting on the Ritz with his friend. He can't speak very well anymore but he can act out a killer Frankenstein.
It's so interesting to me that he is working in that space between reality and perspective. The reality is, he is dying a very slow death. Little by little, the faculties that we rely so heavily on for our mortal experience, are deteriorating. He could very well sit in his living room feeling sad and sorry and no one would blame him. Instead, he uses what tools and resources he can. He directs plays at a Utah University and continues to learn and hone his gifts and talents. He is an inspiration.
In that narrow space between reality and perspective lies this little shift that I think makes all the difference. When life throws a curve ball and transplants you to a place you had no intention of dwelling, we often say..."Why did this happen?" What would happen if instead, we asked, "What am I going to do with this?" I've already asked this question at least three times today as I see things moving in a direction I'm not exactly happy with. Just a simple shift in words, breeds hope.
Life isn't about whens and thens...it's about the here and now.

Comments
Post a Comment