Done for a year...hopefully.

Thank you for the extra prayers!  This was probably the best bone marrow biopsy we have had in a very long time!  Even the ones with sedation.  I'm convinced the medical staff in the room make just as much difference as the medications used.  In Seattle, they sedated the kids but they weren't super friendly people doing the biopsies and 5 minutes after the biopsy, they were being moved to a hard plastic chair to finish waking up!  Not cool.

Today was better than I could have planned it in an imperfect world such as it is.  Still hard and not fun but manageable.

If you remember, Sam's was a disaster with so much chaos in the room.  This time, it was just the people who had to be there, no extra observers.  The PA doing the biopsy, Renee was so amazing with Shelbie. She was mindful and thoughtful with each step and helped Shelbie feel strong and capable to get through it.  The nurse suggested some quiet music.  It was as if everyone was reading my mind with all the things that I thought might help.

The very hardest part was even before the biopsy started.  They couldn't get her tissue numb with lidocaine, just to make the cut in her skin.   It took about 6 full syringes and in addition, they finally brought in a spinal needle that was super thin and about 9" long and inserted that right around and up to the bone and she just kept pulling it in and out and pushing it back and forth.  Yes, Shelbie felt that needle going in and out even after all the lidocaine they had already pushed.  That was the hard part.  She wasn't screaming, not at all but clearly not doing well.

I actually think that spinal needle made the rest more bearable.  There was a tense moment for her when it first got started so I went over to her side and knelt close to her and I walked her through some guided imagery and helped her keep her breathing in rhythm.  Since the kids were little, I taught them to disassociate from the pain so they could manage it better.  Shelbie and Sam are the best at it if they have some guidance.   After we got that going, she did awesome!  Not even tears...from either of us!  She only had to have 40 mg of Fentanyl, the boys had twice and three times more than that.

Poor girl though, her hip is a big bruise because the procedure was pretty rough.  I have been told for the past 20 bone marrows on her that she has the hardest bones they have ever done. She bled a ton and it took everything Renee had to keep twisting that needle deep into her bone.  Ugh...

I hope we get stable results.  The biopsy part, where they take out a core of the bone seemed weird.  The boys' came out like a neat column of bone, Shelbie's came out like mush and fell apart which seemed odd considering how difficult everything was to get to that point.  I hope it's not a bad omen.

All in all, I'm happy with how things went.  I'm happy that the spirit in the room was calm and quiet, it makes so much difference.  I can't say enough about how much I appreciated Renee and Karissa.

Good news though...they just changed their schedule so they will be able to do all three kids, one right after the other next year!  Such a blessing! A long hard day but worth it.

The roads home were dry and clear.  Lots of blessings today!

Last night, we got to Salt Lake just minutes before the lights at Temple Square shut off.  I have never seen them in person so I really wanted to stop.  It was a very fast stroll through the grounds but so worth it!



Popular Posts