Skip to main content

Lots of Adulting Today

Big day today!  I had to be an adult and do adult things like close on my house refinancing!  Yay!  I am so relieved to have that done.  It was a pure act of God that I was able to do this, all things considered.  The first part of September, I woke up on a Friday and had an overwhelming feeling to go talk to my bank and see if they could help me sort out some financial issues.

The mortgage specialist I had was magical!  It was her idea to refinance my house.  I didn't think I had a snowball's chance in you know where of getting approved but just like that...I was!  In the process, I was able to put an entire credit card of medical debt into my new loan, take off 6 years from the length of my mortgage and my payment only went up $30 and my interest went way down. Not only was she smart and efficient and pure genius, she was so compassionate.  When she told me all of this, I couldn't stop crying.  I sat in her office and unloaded about 8 years of struggle.  Even she was fighting back the tears.

I had to have letters written and things done while I was in Utah at the hospital and she was so kind to even write them up herself so all I had to do was sign it.  She was amazing.  Let's just say her name is Jeanne W. I'm not saying that is her name but for the sake of the story...

While I was at the Title company today, I just felt like I shouldn't be left alone to sign an entire book worth of documents.  The girl was flying through them so fast and rambling off financial words I had no idea of their meaning.  Oh well, that's how I roll...a wing and a prayer.

I took another leap of faith and called the Administrator at our local hospital to beg for a way to do bone marrow biopsies here at home.  It looks like it might work out since they have a new partnership with Huntsman and University of Utah.  They are so kind to me at our local hospital...really nice.  They always listen to my concerns and do anything they can to help me.  My pestering several years ago is what spurred them to bring Oncology care from Huntsman, to our little town!  It's the best move ever!   I should have done this before I committed to the boy's biopsies and at dinner, I had to apologize for not thinking of this sooner.  They were kind to me!

They do conscious sedation as well but she said they didn't have a problem doing it in the OR or anything I wanted. ( It's just a sad fact that the world of adult medicine doesn't put you to sleep for a bone marrow biopsy. ) They met with the CEO of Huntsman's this afternoon to discuss our situation and tomorrow they are meeting with the traveling Oncologist to get his feedback.  I'm so grateful for their efforts at Madison!  They are awesome!

Also today...Sam had his brain scans.  I will be anxiously awaiting those results.

Some of Sam's bone marrow biopsy results came in today...He did have some abnormal cells show up that they are guessing are Hematogones which are usually somewhat benign if there aren't too many of them but he had over 5% and until the FISH studies and Cytogenetics are complete, we won't know for sure if they are Hematogones or something more serious like a sign of Leukemia or Lymphoma.  We have seen a small percentage of Hematogones before and they wax and wane so I'm not too worked up but a little anxious for the remaining and final results.  I'm sure it will be okay.  There is always that little evil voice that tells me otherwise, my naysayer side...and the fact he has those two new lesions in his lungs stirs all that up again! Bleh... His peripheral counts look good and with the liver enzymes coming down, it really should be fine.



Popular posts from this blog

Some Results

I was surprised to get a brief update from our doctor this morning.

They did not catch any seizure activity last week.  She said that while that may be good news, it didn't rule out deep structure seizures.   I asked if the test gave any insight to the cause of the slowing of activity in her brain and these were her words.

" No, this does not give an answer ... But it is just one test, done one time ..."

We are still waiting on the MRI results.  I'm not losing hope.  I know, I play this game ALL THE TIME...I wish for problems that no one in their right mind would wish for.  I only do that because it's usually the option with a fix.  Of all the things they are considering to be an issue for Shelbie, seizures are the simplest explanation and medication would manage it.

I'm certain we aren't going to find a solution to her problems any time soon.  While I sat in the waiting room during her 2 hour MRI last Thursday, there was a couple in the room as well.  A…

Random Saturday

Whenever I feel like we are careening out of control, I declutter and clean.  By midnight on Friday, I had 1/3 of my living room filled with stuff I didn't want.  Today, I made a couple of trips to the thrift store and the dump.

Ahhh, I feel like I lost 20 pounds.

When Sam came home after his first week at school a while back, he said, "Wow, my room looks the same."

"What did you think your room would look like?"  I asked.


Turkey!  He came home this morning with his laundry and was a bit despaired.  He said, "Mom, you gotta help me with the smell in my apartment!  I can't stand it anymore! Do we have any Ozium?"

He went on to explain that there is no garbage disposal in the kitchen sink but food gets crammed down there anyways.  He said he keeps putting the little metal drains in that are meant to catch bits of food but his roommates take them out.  He's about fed up.  And while he was on his rant about boys and their leve…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…