Ahh...you win some, you lose some
Can you tell I have a lot of time on my hands? So much writing, so many thoughts rolling around in my head and I am in Heaven! Nothing makes me happier than writing!
Anyways...today is Christmas Eve. Tonight really. Here I sit at the computer. It's always a time to reflect on much! The Saviour, the blessings, the trials, everything! Earlier today, I was thinking what a treasure it was to have a day without sickness, drama, doctors, hospitals...I was relishing in the peace! Not even 5 minutes after that thought...I heard screaming!
They weren't screams of joy and excitement like...Santa's coming! It was screams of pain! I went running downstairs to find Shelbie on the floor crying in pain. Her knee was locked and she could not move! I tried everything I could to get that leg straightened; massage, manipulating it. Finally, Sam and I dragged her to the couch and got her up at least on a more comfortable surface. I got her some ice, a brace and offered her some Advil for the pain.
This has happened so much lately thanks to the connective tissue disorder, hypermobility and mitochondrial disease ruining her joints! Those darn cartilage blisters catch on the muscles and tendons and dislocate her knee cap. Usually, it just takes a few minutes and it releases and things get better. That wasn't happening today.
At some point, her new 'boy' friend called and he could tell she was in pain and asked what was wrong. She explained what had happened and he asked if I was taking her to the hospital. She said, "No" Next thing I know, she hands me the phone.
This kid starts telling me why I need to take her to the ER and how leaving her in pain is mean and if I'm not going to take her then he would. WOW!!! I tried to explain that the hospital would do her no good. We are waiting to see a specialist but because of the holidays, we have to wait a couple of weeks!
After I got him calmed down and understanding the situation more, I decided to take her in to the our doctor and maybe he could tape her knee in place. They were closed. Our Physical Therapist was closed, everyone I thought could help was closed since it is Christmas Eve. Finally, I decided on the urgent care. Bad idea!
This is what the doc there said to me..."Why would you think that you can bring someone here with multiple genetic problems and complex issues and expect to be treated? I can't do anything for her. You need someone to manage these problems and you need a pain doctor, not an urgent care on Christmas Eve!"
"We are waiting to see a specialist, we have a plan in place but things just got worse today. I was just hoping you could get her knee cap back in place from where it has shifted to and tape it so she can walk. That's all, just to get us by."
Flat out...this guys says "NO". He wrote a prescription for pain pills, that's it. I didn't want pain pills, I didn't even go pick up the stupid prescription! Instead, I bought crutches because I don't know what else to do for her! This stupid, stupid disease! I hate it. I especially hate a Christmas Grinch!
It was a real let down after a couple of really positive doctor appointments!
Anyways...today is Christmas Eve. Tonight really. Here I sit at the computer. It's always a time to reflect on much! The Saviour, the blessings, the trials, everything! Earlier today, I was thinking what a treasure it was to have a day without sickness, drama, doctors, hospitals...I was relishing in the peace! Not even 5 minutes after that thought...I heard screaming!
They weren't screams of joy and excitement like...Santa's coming! It was screams of pain! I went running downstairs to find Shelbie on the floor crying in pain. Her knee was locked and she could not move! I tried everything I could to get that leg straightened; massage, manipulating it. Finally, Sam and I dragged her to the couch and got her up at least on a more comfortable surface. I got her some ice, a brace and offered her some Advil for the pain.
This has happened so much lately thanks to the connective tissue disorder, hypermobility and mitochondrial disease ruining her joints! Those darn cartilage blisters catch on the muscles and tendons and dislocate her knee cap. Usually, it just takes a few minutes and it releases and things get better. That wasn't happening today.
At some point, her new 'boy' friend called and he could tell she was in pain and asked what was wrong. She explained what had happened and he asked if I was taking her to the hospital. She said, "No" Next thing I know, she hands me the phone.
This kid starts telling me why I need to take her to the ER and how leaving her in pain is mean and if I'm not going to take her then he would. WOW!!! I tried to explain that the hospital would do her no good. We are waiting to see a specialist but because of the holidays, we have to wait a couple of weeks!
After I got him calmed down and understanding the situation more, I decided to take her in to the our doctor and maybe he could tape her knee in place. They were closed. Our Physical Therapist was closed, everyone I thought could help was closed since it is Christmas Eve. Finally, I decided on the urgent care. Bad idea!
This is what the doc there said to me..."Why would you think that you can bring someone here with multiple genetic problems and complex issues and expect to be treated? I can't do anything for her. You need someone to manage these problems and you need a pain doctor, not an urgent care on Christmas Eve!"
"We are waiting to see a specialist, we have a plan in place but things just got worse today. I was just hoping you could get her knee cap back in place from where it has shifted to and tape it so she can walk. That's all, just to get us by."
Flat out...this guys says "NO". He wrote a prescription for pain pills, that's it. I didn't want pain pills, I didn't even go pick up the stupid prescription! Instead, I bought crutches because I don't know what else to do for her! This stupid, stupid disease! I hate it. I especially hate a Christmas Grinch!
It was a real let down after a couple of really positive doctor appointments!
=( maybe it was a good thing though the dr at urgent care didn't do anything-- are they even trained into getting bones back in place? I don't know maybe they are, but my thought would be that they'd screw something up. poor Shelbie, being in pain is so awful! I hope she's feeling better by now.
ReplyDelete