Our first hurricane
Hurricane Sandy is in full force. I can't say that I am happy or excited and surviving a hurricane is, incidently, not on my bucket list!
I have been trying to collect water and extra food to keep in our hotel room. Aside from a couple of tiny markets, everything is closed. I finally found a loaf of bread today at the Plaza Hotel a couple of miles from our hotel and it cost me $15!!! They put it in a paper bag so I held it under my coat hoping I could get it back to our hotel without it turning all soggy and gross. On our way back from the bread excursion, we found a Sbarro pizza restaurant still open so we stopped there for lunch. I didn't realize that rain had poured through my coat and made the bag all soggy, one of the loaves fell out on the floor! I picked it up, it was wrapped in a wax paper kind of thing so I think it will be okay, besides, homeless people eat worse than that.
Today has been kind of frustrating. I have two boys who want to be out experiencing a hurricane and a girl who is having one panic attack after another. I am trying to be flexible but safe. I want to 'make the best of things' but still be sensible. They want to be like the crazy tourists who ignore all warnings of safety.
We made it back to our hotel about 2pm. The kids laid down to rest and they all fell asleep. It's been over 2 hours! They are tired and worn out. Sam is still trying to get over a bad cold he had before we left. On our way back from getting the bread, we asked a couple of the cafe's we found open, which were few to see if they would be open tonight. We found only one that will be. It is just a few blocks from our hotel. I suppose we will walk there later and try to save our collection of food and crusts of bread in case we lose power later. It's a pretty sad looking cache of supplies but I've done the best I can to get some things together.
After the kids wake up, I will post pictures of what is going on around here.
I have been trying to collect water and extra food to keep in our hotel room. Aside from a couple of tiny markets, everything is closed. I finally found a loaf of bread today at the Plaza Hotel a couple of miles from our hotel and it cost me $15!!! They put it in a paper bag so I held it under my coat hoping I could get it back to our hotel without it turning all soggy and gross. On our way back from the bread excursion, we found a Sbarro pizza restaurant still open so we stopped there for lunch. I didn't realize that rain had poured through my coat and made the bag all soggy, one of the loaves fell out on the floor! I picked it up, it was wrapped in a wax paper kind of thing so I think it will be okay, besides, homeless people eat worse than that.
Today has been kind of frustrating. I have two boys who want to be out experiencing a hurricane and a girl who is having one panic attack after another. I am trying to be flexible but safe. I want to 'make the best of things' but still be sensible. They want to be like the crazy tourists who ignore all warnings of safety.
We made it back to our hotel about 2pm. The kids laid down to rest and they all fell asleep. It's been over 2 hours! They are tired and worn out. Sam is still trying to get over a bad cold he had before we left. On our way back from getting the bread, we asked a couple of the cafe's we found open, which were few to see if they would be open tonight. We found only one that will be. It is just a few blocks from our hotel. I suppose we will walk there later and try to save our collection of food and crusts of bread in case we lose power later. It's a pretty sad looking cache of supplies but I've done the best I can to get some things together.
After the kids wake up, I will post pictures of what is going on around here.
Comments
Post a Comment