Good Luck and Bad Luck

Is it possible, do you think, to have good and bad luck at the same time?  I think so.  We have been blessed, lucky, fortunate, whatever you want to call it to have been able to have this adventure in New York City with Make A Wish.  It is incredible that we have experience something that would have been impossible for us!  Let's face it, one meal for our family in NYC is equivalent to one week's worth of pay!!!  That's a crazy thought but true.

At the same time, we have been stuck in circumstances that aren't exactly ideal! Who has luck like ours?  The flight here was one missed connection after the other then hurricane Sandy...sheesh, that was scary!  That's all there is to it.  I did not enjoy the drama and worry that comes with a hurricane.  I spent two days trying not to act distracted and it was hard.  I was trying to enjoy the day despite the impending doom but at the same time, trying to gather some food and water to prepare for the worst case scenario, after all, I have never experienced a natural disaster before so I had no idea what to expect.  I could only do what we had been advised to do from Make A Wish.

As we were walking back to the hotel from dinner, I was thinking, we always have these bad things happen to us, but we always end up on top.  Yes, we had to face the hurricane but wow, we were so blessed!!  It could have been so much worse than it was!  I feel like we were so protected.  When you look at the map of this hurricane and map out in your mind the path of destruction, you can see this little pocket where the damage was minimal and it was this little circle around our hotel.

New York City was suppose to receive the eye of the storm.  At the last minute, it took an incredible, 90 degree turn and moved around NYC.  There is a huge amount of flooding and destruction all around our hotel.  Just two blocks away, it's a total blackout!!  We were so blessed to have been kept out of harms way, that's really good luck!

It's so easy to jump to conclusions when seemingly bad things happen but when all the dust settles, it's easy to see how blessed we really are.  It's another realization and lesson that I hope I can remember so when the next little rash of bad luck comes upon us, we will be able to be more relaxed, knowing that good luck is just around the corner.





Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts