Don't Apologize
People ask me all the time what they can do to help. I usually respond, "Nothing. We're fine." We aren't always fine. I know there are some who ask because they really want to help but there are also some who are only asking to be cordial and socially endearing.
A few weeks ago, someone asked and I actually needed a little help so I went ahead and asked for their help. Well, unfortunately, they didn't really mean it and they spent a good 10 minutes trying to back out of their offer to help. So, that's fine. I get it. It was just so awkward. To spare further embarrassment for both of us, I made up some story about why my 'plea for help' was actually a dumb idea...they agreed.
Anyways, as the last week or two has unfolded, it's been very interesting and I see the dynamics of my little world I am surrounded by changing. I have thought of something helpful if you really want to help. Quit apologizing for your 'trivial' problems in life. Quit assuming that I don't want to hear about your struggles and frustrations. Quit thinking that I look at you from some pedestal as someone who is far greater because my trials are better than yours!
My trials are mine because that's the plan. They aren't bigger or better than yours and I'm not some Saint because I appear to be all pulled together and happy. Your trials are yours and just as important, big and stressful because they match your plan. It really doesn't matter how big or small you perceive our individual problems to be, that's the not the point. The point is that we are all trying to learn the very same lesson, that lesson just comes packaged differently for each person. We all need to learn to rely on our Greater Power, God, the Universe, what ever you feel comfortable calling it. I call Him God. These trials allow me to better understand the Nature of God and trust him.
So, just don't apologize. If you want to tell me how much the laundry is driving you crazy to the point you are so depressed you can't get out of bed, I want to hear. Let me help you. I will never think you are lame, or lazy or dumb for letting something like that get you down. I get it. Sometimes, it's the little things that drive a person to the brink.
A few weeks ago, someone asked and I actually needed a little help so I went ahead and asked for their help. Well, unfortunately, they didn't really mean it and they spent a good 10 minutes trying to back out of their offer to help. So, that's fine. I get it. It was just so awkward. To spare further embarrassment for both of us, I made up some story about why my 'plea for help' was actually a dumb idea...they agreed.
Anyways, as the last week or two has unfolded, it's been very interesting and I see the dynamics of my little world I am surrounded by changing. I have thought of something helpful if you really want to help. Quit apologizing for your 'trivial' problems in life. Quit assuming that I don't want to hear about your struggles and frustrations. Quit thinking that I look at you from some pedestal as someone who is far greater because my trials are better than yours!
My trials are mine because that's the plan. They aren't bigger or better than yours and I'm not some Saint because I appear to be all pulled together and happy. Your trials are yours and just as important, big and stressful because they match your plan. It really doesn't matter how big or small you perceive our individual problems to be, that's the not the point. The point is that we are all trying to learn the very same lesson, that lesson just comes packaged differently for each person. We all need to learn to rely on our Greater Power, God, the Universe, what ever you feel comfortable calling it. I call Him God. These trials allow me to better understand the Nature of God and trust him.
So, just don't apologize. If you want to tell me how much the laundry is driving you crazy to the point you are so depressed you can't get out of bed, I want to hear. Let me help you. I will never think you are lame, or lazy or dumb for letting something like that get you down. I get it. Sometimes, it's the little things that drive a person to the brink.
Comments
Post a Comment