And Again....
The verdict is in on Sam, at least for now...Sam has Ulcerative Colitis. Blech!! Does that mean he doesn't have an intesseception? NO! Right now, the fact that he is having the mucus bowel movements, just mucus, is a strong indication for Colitis. That's what the bowel does when it is inflammed and angry. More than likely, the lymph nodes are also large and angry which puts him at risk for the intesseception. For now, we are going to just do the Colitis medication and try to get things settled down. If the symptoms persist, then we will do a Colonoscopy and/or CT Scan to make sure we don't have bigger problems. He was also very concerned that Sam is going to have problems with C-Diff, a horrid, awful bowel infection.
Sam had C Diff three years ago, he had it for over 6 months! It is horrible to get rid of and highly contagious. He had to sleep on a plastic air mattress so I could bleach it down, he had to have his own bedding, towels, blankets etc. and all had to be bleached when I washed them. His clothes had to be washed separately, he had to have his own bathroom and anything he touched had to be bleached like the TV remote, doorknobs etc. It was such a hard time.
The only medication available in this country to treat C-Diff is Flagyl. Well, just two weeks ago, the Neurologist in Seattle warned me against letting the kids take Flagyl. If this develops into C-Diff, I will have to special order medication from Canada like I did last time and it costs a small fortune, not kidding!
I am feeling both relieved and anxious. I hate for him to struggle with Colitis on top of everything else but I am glad that for now, it doesn't look like an intesseception and maybe if we keep our fingers crossed really tight, we won't have to face C-Diff again. I will just have to keep a close watch on him and hope for the best.
The medication adds 6 more pills a day and he will be on it indefinitely. Sam is not happy and is already putting up a huge fight about more pills. That brings Sam's total of pills per day to 19!! At the rate we are going, I won't have to buy groceries anymore just lots of beverages for swallowing all these pills! Ugh....the never ending story....
Sam had C Diff three years ago, he had it for over 6 months! It is horrible to get rid of and highly contagious. He had to sleep on a plastic air mattress so I could bleach it down, he had to have his own bedding, towels, blankets etc. and all had to be bleached when I washed them. His clothes had to be washed separately, he had to have his own bathroom and anything he touched had to be bleached like the TV remote, doorknobs etc. It was such a hard time.
The only medication available in this country to treat C-Diff is Flagyl. Well, just two weeks ago, the Neurologist in Seattle warned me against letting the kids take Flagyl. If this develops into C-Diff, I will have to special order medication from Canada like I did last time and it costs a small fortune, not kidding!
I am feeling both relieved and anxious. I hate for him to struggle with Colitis on top of everything else but I am glad that for now, it doesn't look like an intesseception and maybe if we keep our fingers crossed really tight, we won't have to face C-Diff again. I will just have to keep a close watch on him and hope for the best.
The medication adds 6 more pills a day and he will be on it indefinitely. Sam is not happy and is already putting up a huge fight about more pills. That brings Sam's total of pills per day to 19!! At the rate we are going, I won't have to buy groceries anymore just lots of beverages for swallowing all these pills! Ugh....the never ending story....
That is too bad. Poor guy! I really hope he doesn't get C-Diff again because that sounds absolutely horrible.
ReplyDelete