Clarity

Well, it's been one interesting day.  Samuel has to go in tomorrow for a Colonoscopy and an Endoscopy.  I'm not surprised at all and ironically, neither is Sam.  When I picked him up from school I had to tell him the bad news.  He said, "I knew it.  I've had a feeling this was going to happen."  Thankfully, I've been picking up his good friend from school this week so it was nice to have him with us to keep the tension down.  From school we headed to the doctor's office to pick up the medicine for the bowel cleanse then on to the hospital to get registered and meet with the nurses and Anesthesiologist. 

I feel like we are in good hands.  Our surgeon, (not many people can say they have a surgeon.  Most people have bookeepers, accountants or hairdressers, we have a surgeon...the best there is too!) is so good and is the only one I will let cut my kids open or scope or do whatever needs to be done. 

I think I see a little more clearly how beneficial our trip to Seattle was and the information I received there was so valuable to what we are going through this minute.  All the medicines Dr. Saneto told me the kids could no longer have are the standard meds Sam would have been prescribed for this procedure.  He told me that anytime the kids have surgery anywhere other than Seattle, we are to call the Anesthesiologist at Seattle Children's who specialize in Mito kids and they will give instructions for putting the kids to sleep.  I am so grateful that I had that number so hopefully, things will go well in that department. 

One thing he cautioned us about was Flagyl; a strong antibiotic used to treat C-Diff.  Interestingly enough, it was an afterthought to him and I hand wrote it in on the list the nurse gave me.  Sam had C-Diff three years ago when he had bowel surgery and I think I've mentioned how horrible it was.  I am thinking maybe part of that nightmare was the fact that the medicine he was taking was doing more harm than good and I think this may be something that we will have to deal with in the not too distant future- like maybe tomorrow.  Depending on his blood counts going into the procedure, he may need a whopping dose of antibiotics to protect his weak immune system.  That would likely wipe out the good bacteria in his bowel and the C-Diff bacteria will take over.  Nothing to do but wait and see.

There are so many other little coincidences that help me to understand that God is watching out for us and helping us through yet another trial or maybe it's that same old trial that never ends....It just goes on and on.   One thing about trials that I find fascinating is to look back and see how each step we take contains important tools like new information, reminders,  knowledge and growth that we will need at some point in the future.  I love to put all the pieces together and feel that 'Aha' moment.  It makes it a little easier to accept the plan when things make sense and have a purpose that you can see.  

Tonight will surely be a long night.  I am sure Sam has an obstruction or narrowing at least because after 6 hours on the bowel cleanse, still no action.  I'm guessing it will kick in in a couple of hours so we have lots of movies planned to get us through this long night.   Hopefully, I will get all my work caught up so I can spend the next few days concentrating on Sam.  Poor kid!  This is rough on him but it's cool to see Shelbie and Spencer rally around him and cheer him up.   
Photobucket

Comments

Popular Posts