So the story goes
Little Agnes Caldwell was a pioneer girl all of 9 years old. She headed West with the Willie Handcart Company. She suffered terribly on the trail and was tired. On one cold day, rescue wagons came, taking with them the sick and those too tired to continue walking. Agnes tried to keep up to the wagons. One driver slowed to offer her a ride and she gladly accepted his offer.
"At this, he reached over, taking my hand, clucking to the horses to make me run, with legs that seemed to me could run no farther. On we went to what seemed like miles. What went through my head at the time was that he was the meanest man that ever lived or that I had ever heard of.
Just what seemed the breaking point, he stopped. Taking a blanket, he wrapped me up and lay me in the bottom of the wagon, warm and comfortable. Here I had time to change my mind, as I surely did, knowing full well by doing this, he saved me from freezing when taken into the wagon."
How many times do you feel like you are just running beside the wagon, in the bottom of the boat rowing your little heart out just keep from drowning or falling by the wayside to freeze in the elements? Sometimes, late at night when the dishes are done, the house is tidied, every kid has taken their handful of medication and finally in bed for the night, I fall into my own bed in what has become a nightly ritual of utter exhaustion and I wonder how much longer I can keep running. I wonder what the point is to the effort I make when at best, I seem to fall behind.
Somewhere in all this fatigue, I can imagine God saying to me, "Just hold on a little longer. Just wait, you don't understand yet but you will. I am working wonders!" So, I hold on to the side of the wagon as it races along knowing that someday, in an unexpected moment, He will pull me into the wagon.
"At this, he reached over, taking my hand, clucking to the horses to make me run, with legs that seemed to me could run no farther. On we went to what seemed like miles. What went through my head at the time was that he was the meanest man that ever lived or that I had ever heard of.
Just what seemed the breaking point, he stopped. Taking a blanket, he wrapped me up and lay me in the bottom of the wagon, warm and comfortable. Here I had time to change my mind, as I surely did, knowing full well by doing this, he saved me from freezing when taken into the wagon."
How many times do you feel like you are just running beside the wagon, in the bottom of the boat rowing your little heart out just keep from drowning or falling by the wayside to freeze in the elements? Sometimes, late at night when the dishes are done, the house is tidied, every kid has taken their handful of medication and finally in bed for the night, I fall into my own bed in what has become a nightly ritual of utter exhaustion and I wonder how much longer I can keep running. I wonder what the point is to the effort I make when at best, I seem to fall behind.
Somewhere in all this fatigue, I can imagine God saying to me, "Just hold on a little longer. Just wait, you don't understand yet but you will. I am working wonders!" So, I hold on to the side of the wagon as it races along knowing that someday, in an unexpected moment, He will pull me into the wagon.
thanks so much for sharing--i love this post.
ReplyDelete