Another one bites the dust
Sadly, Shelbie is having bad luck with finding and keeping friends. It seems as soon as they find out she has some 'problems' they turn and run.
She met a guy a few weeks ago and has been out a couple of times with him. He seems really nice, seems to have his 'stuff' together unlike most guys she comes in contact with. She just wanted to enjoy hanging out with him but he wanted to know the 'big' details of her life. She finally told him, trying to downplay the significance of it and he seemed, at the time, to take it all in stride but then, he didn't call, he didn't text, he sort of forgot about her. I guess I'm speculating here that he has forgotten about her. He knew she was going in for her transfusion last week but didn't call or anything.
So, Shelbie has a broken heart...again! When the kids were diagnosed with Shwachman Diamond Syndrome, I began planning how we would cope with the physical problems, I didn't take into account the emotional drain it would take, or the fact that when they were older, it would scare everyone off and a decent relationship would be hard to come by.
The worse thing is, I can't protect her from a breaking heart. I can't protect her from people who just can handle her life. It's hard to watch her hurt and when she asks me why, I have no good answer for her. She has all but decided she will be a spinster at the ripe old age of 20. I keep telling her she is young, too young to get married anyways and there is lots of time to find someone. She isn't buying my rhetoric.
Funny though, Spencer has been listening to her sad story and meltdowns and he always seems to make it better. The other night he said, "I can't believe the weak and whiny guys Shelbie attracts. That is so ridiculous, they just need to deal with it and quit freaking out."
I guess it's easy for us to say, problems are all we've ever known but it's still hard to understand where other people are coming from. It makes it really easy to just isolate and not bother anymore. Sometimes, trying to get people to understand is just a bridge too far. Somehow, I need to help Shelbie see that she needs to keep putting herself out there and taking chances on love. Isn't that why we're all here...to love and be loved?
She met a guy a few weeks ago and has been out a couple of times with him. He seems really nice, seems to have his 'stuff' together unlike most guys she comes in contact with. She just wanted to enjoy hanging out with him but he wanted to know the 'big' details of her life. She finally told him, trying to downplay the significance of it and he seemed, at the time, to take it all in stride but then, he didn't call, he didn't text, he sort of forgot about her. I guess I'm speculating here that he has forgotten about her. He knew she was going in for her transfusion last week but didn't call or anything.
So, Shelbie has a broken heart...again! When the kids were diagnosed with Shwachman Diamond Syndrome, I began planning how we would cope with the physical problems, I didn't take into account the emotional drain it would take, or the fact that when they were older, it would scare everyone off and a decent relationship would be hard to come by.
The worse thing is, I can't protect her from a breaking heart. I can't protect her from people who just can handle her life. It's hard to watch her hurt and when she asks me why, I have no good answer for her. She has all but decided she will be a spinster at the ripe old age of 20. I keep telling her she is young, too young to get married anyways and there is lots of time to find someone. She isn't buying my rhetoric.
Funny though, Spencer has been listening to her sad story and meltdowns and he always seems to make it better. The other night he said, "I can't believe the weak and whiny guys Shelbie attracts. That is so ridiculous, they just need to deal with it and quit freaking out."
I guess it's easy for us to say, problems are all we've ever known but it's still hard to understand where other people are coming from. It makes it really easy to just isolate and not bother anymore. Sometimes, trying to get people to understand is just a bridge too far. Somehow, I need to help Shelbie see that she needs to keep putting herself out there and taking chances on love. Isn't that why we're all here...to love and be loved?
Comments
Post a Comment