Run A Muk Returns
There are a few things I look back on and think, 'ya, I got that right!'
One summer, when my kids were little and we were adjusting to our new diagnosis which was back then, Shwachman Diamond Syndrome, we were all a mess. I decided we needed something to count on, a little rhythm to our day that was more than handfuls of medicine, doctor visits and feeling lousy. So, I hatched up a little summer plan I affectionately named, Camp Run-A-Muk.
It was mostly for my kids but I invited several of their little friends. I think we ended up with about 10 kids, three days a week. We did reading, a craft, a snack and some play time. My kids loved it! On the days we didn't do Camp, they ran a little store out of their very cool playhouse I designed and their dad built. The store was called, Stuck in the Valley and they sold all sorts of treasures from Oriental Trading as well as penny candy. Every afternoon, kids were lined up down our yard to buy candy. Their mother's probably hated me, but it saved us that summer.
Over the past three months, there have been 4 children, attempt suicide for a total of 7 times! Let that sink in. 4 children, on my street alone! Two children are living with the reality that their father was just arrested for 'sexual crimes against children'. Imagine this? These kids spend a lot of time just wandering the neighborhood while their mothers work hard, and are literally just trying to survive without a husband to help.
It's been a really difficult thing for me to watch. I don't manage the suffering of others very well. The kids spend a lot of time at my house and often say how sad they are, but with me working so much more this year, I don't get to do much for them. I decided it was time to bring back Camp Run-A-Muk- teenager style. I want to create an environment of safety and security. I want them to have something to look forward to a couple of nights a week. I want them to know that they are seen, appreciated, loved and that my home can be a safe place for them to land. I want to rescue them and maybe give their moms a little breathing room.
I can't look at all the suffering around me and carry on like the problems belong to someone else. I can't look at the way my own kids are suffering in their own little quiet ways, and hope it gets better. I can't look at my own suffering and discouragements and not feel at least a little despair because there seems no way out.
So, I'm trying to save us all with a little fun, two nights a week.
The first camp starts tonight. The kids are so excited!! I made a logo and turned it into buttons, which is their admission ticket each night we have camp. I made each of them a little notebook and bought them their own special pen. For now, I will host 16 nights over 8 weeks. I've been working on this every little spare moment, so I hope it is as fun as it seems in my head!
Each night they will report the best part of their day, the hardest part of their day, and I have a gratitude tree they will add a leaf of gratitude to each time. We will also do a small act of service. After our time to connect and share, I will have an activity or craft and then a fun treat! I'm starting with 6 kids from ages 9-17.
Honestly, this past month as been so hard with all this collective pain around me and losing one of my best doctors because he retired, and I had a Peeping Tom last week which still has me freaked out but that's a story for another post. So, I need this for me, as much as they need this. I am so burnt out on work.
I'm excited to make a connection with these kids. Their parents are a little suspect of me. What grown woman wants to spend time with the neighborhood kids? I guess I see that we aren't really all that different. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that we are all hurting and we all need connection. We all need someone to witness our life. I know we don't have that, and I know Shelbie is really hurting. So many problems can be alleviated through connection, service and gratitude...so that's the goal. As hard as this feels to pull off, I know it will be rewarding. I just hope these kids feel the spirit while they are here. I hope they know, that there is someone who cares that they live.
I'll post pictures tomorrow of how it all went! Finger's crossed!

Comments
Post a Comment