Happy Father's Day
Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there.
![]() |
| My dad, my grandma, Shelbie and me...a long time ago! |
I'm blessed and lucky to have a dad to celebrate today. I've been thinking about the ways my life has been blessed this week because of my dad. I think dads are the fun guys. The one to push the envelope, be a little more daring, and basically the cruise director for life. Of course, all of this in addition to providing a home and watching over family.
Father's day always strikes me with a little more tenderness because I know first hand how important a dad is. I see it every day in the life around me. Some moments in my life, I have had to be both a father and a mother and that is hard. No one can take the place of a father.
This week, a thought came to my mind, over and over. In fact, one night this week, I woke up in the night thinking about it.
Nearly 20 years ago, I was going through some challenges mentally. I was seriously depressed, exhausted, anxious and suicidal. As if that wasn't enough, my marriage was crumbling before my eyes. I couldn't imagine how to continue living my life when I was told time and again, I would likely outlive my children, by decades!
During this period of my life, I ended up in a mental hospital. I can say without a doubt, it was the worst time of my life. I was sent against my will and the whole situation was scary and dark. I remember only a few things from that nearly month long visit. I remember the intake nurse asking me a series of questions that seemed really stupid and obvious. One of them was, 'Are you grieving the loss of a loved one.' I replied, 'Yes. I have lost me.' The nurse with her calloused, distant heart began to cry. We both sat there weeping. I truly felt hopeless and shame that buried me in a tsunami of depression.
When you are in a mental hospital, you are very isolated. I had no friends I could call up even if I wanted to. I couldn't check in with my kids. So alone.
At some point in my stay, to my surprise, my dad showed up at the hospital. I remember being so embarrassed that I would have to face him when all my life I had tried so hard to make him proud and happy of me. This was not my proudest moment. I don't even remember what we talked about the few minutes he could stay, but I remember how I felt. I felt loved. I felt like somehow, without having to explain it all, he understood. That one sacrifice to drive nearly whole day just to spend a few minutes to let me know I still had value. I'm not sure I ever really thanked him for that.
So, it's a good day to celebrate my dad.

Comments
Post a Comment