Skip to main content

Settling In

Spencer's been home a week!  It's been quite the busy week.

All in all, he is starting to settle in better than the first few days.  I was pretty surprised at how hard it was to have him home.  He felt awkward to be 'in the world' again and none of us really knew how to act.  I think we were all trying to pretend none of us were living in the world either; we tried to shelter him from our usual, hectic life.  He was really homesick for Colorado too.  It was almost as if he was sad.  His face, his actions, everything just seemed sad.

I wanted to fix it.  Then I thought maybe it was me making him sad.  It was just hard.  Nothing at all like I had expected.

I wasn't sure how we were going to tell him about all the things that happened over the past two years, especially about his 'new' disease, Dyskeratosis Congenita.  Thankfully, it didn't end up being as big a deal as it was in my head.

On Thursday morning, his dad came over and we were planning the day.  Somehow, we all migrated to Spencer's bedroom.  I think he was showing us his lack of clothes.  I had bought him some new clothes but he has lost a lot of weight!  I bought him the size he wore when he left but we had to exchange them for two sizes smaller!  His smaller frame led to a conversation on how he lost the weight.  Well, he's been sick almost the entire two years.  Not only was keeping stuff from him but he was keeping stuff from me!

He talked about how run down he feels.  How his asthma is giving him problems.  How is gut and pancreas seem to causing him all sorts of problems.  He even mentioned that there have been a few times he has passed out for no reason...just standing in his apartment doing nothing and he goes down.

When he was done, I talked about DC and all the things we have found to be problems in Shelbie and Sam.  With each symptom and problem, he just said, "Ya, that happens to me too!"  It all made sense to him.  He already knew he was sick, he didn't need me explaining some rare disease to him, he has been living it.

I'm kind of glad things happened the way they did.  I'm not sure how he is feeling about things.  It will probably become more real when I start getting appointments scheduled and we get a better picture about what is happening.

Tuesday, we made a quick trip to Salt Lake to go back to school shopping for Spencer and Sam.  While we were there, an old companion of Spencer's asked him to stay a few days and help him lay some tile.  So, we left Spencer behind, said goodbye...AGAIN and came home.

Being with is friend has been really good for him I think.  It is good to be with someone who has already gone through the transitioning phase.  I talked to Spencer on the phone tonight and already, he sounds happier.

It's been great to have him home.  We have had some really awesome talks about life.  We have gone to the temple and enjoyed being together as a family!  



Popular posts from this blog

Obscure Sorrows

I sat on the bench like I usually do on Saturday mornings, the organ music was slow and quiet.  I think that's why I like playing there; its just slow and quiet.  I set the pace.  I mostly keep my eye on the music for fear of messing up but I did notice a couple walk in.  I had known them a few years ago, not well, but enough.  Enough to notice each other and say Hi.  I had heard recently that she had breast cancer.  She's likely a good 10 years younger than me.  Her red wig was striking, her eyebrows carefully in place and by all accounts, she made cancer look good.  
I had the strangest feeling I've never had before.  She has no idea, that somehow, I know all about her recent strife with cancer.  I have heard how it struck, how she deals; I know more than a distant acquaintance like me should know.   She is living this complicated, unfair, story that went off in a way she scarcely expected.  For a moment, I felt like I was an extra in her 3rd act; the struggle.  And, I wo…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…


It has been an emotional weekend!  Holy Smokes.  I need a vacation from being sensitive.

It's been months since I have been able to find my homeless friend May.

Monday, I had this overwhelming feeling that she was in trouble and it dawned on me that I should call the apartment where she was last known to be.  They didn't answer.  They didn't answer my call all week!  Finally, yesterday (Friday) they called me back.  I was afraid that they wouldn't give me any information about May since I wasn't family so I lied!  I told them she was my great Aunt.  The manager hummed and hawed and finally gave the phone to a man who wondered what I wanted with her.  After some convincing, he told me that she had been arrested and taken to the State Mental Hospital.

I was so sad!  I immediately called the State Hospital and asked if I could speak to her but of course, they can't tell me if she is there or not...and, I couldn't remember her first, legal name.  She has sever…