Skip to main content

Biopsies Done!

The kids survived the day!

Last night, I wasn't sure we were going to make it.  By the time they started round two of the cleanse, they were horribly sick and incredibly weak.  The last dose was at 9pm and they spent until 1:30am vomiting and diarrhea.  It was unbelievable.  I had decided to have the boys sleep in my bed so they would be closer to a bathroom and Shelbie slept on a mattress on the floor.  I laid on the couch, jumping up and down assisting them.  I finally fell asleep at 2am and woke up at 3:10.  Wide awake.

We arrived at 6 am.

The kids were in really good spirits and they wore the craziest outfits just to keep the moment humorous.   The boys shared a room and Shelbie was next door.

We don't really have any results.  The boys' scopes looked pretty amazing and very normal but he took several biopsies in hopes that it would hold the key to Spencer's malabsorption.   It could be that the problem is in the liver, pancreas or small bowel.  None of those areas can be viewed in a scope.  Once the GI doc gets all the reports, Spencer will likely do the pill cam so they can get a look in his small bowel...well, unless the blood work shows something.  All of that should be back tomorrow or Wednesday.

Shelbie, on the other hand, had all sorts of GI problems.  She has pretty significant gastritis which could actually be H-pylori and some other unidentified growths that will be determined by pathology.

Shelbie came back to the room wide awake and incredibly agitated and in pain.  They had to give her three doses of morphine before the pain was controlled.  Tonight, she seems to be doing better.

Spencer has done the worst of the three.  He looks like a wreck.  Pale, weak and just skin and bones.

Bone marrow results will take another couple of weeks.

All in all...things went fairly well. I am so glad it's over.

Here are some highlights in photos from today.


Sam...with his goofy 'man bun'

Sam post op
Spencer post op

Shelbie post op



Popular posts from this blog

Some Results

I was surprised to get a brief update from our doctor this morning.

They did not catch any seizure activity last week.  She said that while that may be good news, it didn't rule out deep structure seizures.   I asked if the test gave any insight to the cause of the slowing of activity in her brain and these were her words.

" No, this does not give an answer ... But it is just one test, done one time ..."

We are still waiting on the MRI results.  I'm not losing hope.  I know, I play this game ALL THE TIME...I wish for problems that no one in their right mind would wish for.  I only do that because it's usually the option with a fix.  Of all the things they are considering to be an issue for Shelbie, seizures are the simplest explanation and medication would manage it.

I'm certain we aren't going to find a solution to her problems any time soon.  While I sat in the waiting room during her 2 hour MRI last Thursday, there was a couple in the room as well.  A…

Random Saturday

Whenever I feel like we are careening out of control, I declutter and clean.  By midnight on Friday, I had 1/3 of my living room filled with stuff I didn't want.  Today, I made a couple of trips to the thrift store and the dump.

Ahhh, I feel like I lost 20 pounds.

When Sam came home after his first week at school a while back, he said, "Wow, my room looks the same."

"What did you think your room would look like?"  I asked.


Turkey!  He came home this morning with his laundry and was a bit despaired.  He said, "Mom, you gotta help me with the smell in my apartment!  I can't stand it anymore! Do we have any Ozium?"

He went on to explain that there is no garbage disposal in the kitchen sink but food gets crammed down there anyways.  He said he keeps putting the little metal drains in that are meant to catch bits of food but his roommates take them out.  He's about fed up.  And while he was on his rant about boys and their leve…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…