Skip to main content

Fidgeting and Fretting

Today has been pretty monumental.

First, the back story.

I have mentioned here a time or two how stuck we have been in getting medical care.  I see all the other DC families with lung, heart and bone marrow problems being proactive and getting all sorts of care and treatment and then we sit here, just twiddling our thumbs hoping that it will all just disappear.

Losing our Hematologist in Seattle seemed to precipitate many other changes.  We have outgrown all of our doctors simply because the kids got older.  Not only that, we haven't been happy with a couple of our doctors.  With the DC diagnosis, they seem out of their league.

With Spencer coming home, we need to get all the DC genetics done and get the same baseline tests that Sam and Shelbie had but now we don't have decent doctors.  I've been praying to find some direction; to figure out where to take them for medical care.

We had options but certainly didn't feel like any of the options were a good fit.

For the very first time, I didn't fret about this or fidget and try to force a plan.  I simply just prayed until something happened.  I don't know what I was expecting...I guess that's just it, I had no expectations.  I couldn't see how this situation could be resolved so I just tried to remain open and hopeful that the way would be made clear when the time was right.

Today, I had to make a trip to Wyoming to work on a hospital project I've been working on the past year.  As we walked through the surgical suites under construction, the CEO asked me how my kids were doing.  I briefly explained that we were assembling a new team of adult medicine docs and it was a huge and hard undertaking.  Out of the blue, he started talking about a cardiologist that works two days a month at the hospital.  I thought absolutely nothing of that.

When our meeting was over, he offered to walk me out to the front doors.  As we left his office, he said, "If you have a minute, I can introduce you to the cardiologist's nurse.  Maybe she could help you in some way."

As we turned the corner from his office, a lady was right there in a hall.  She was coming to see the CEO.  It was the nurse coordinator for the cardiologist he was telling me about!  We were introduced and I followed her back to her office.

We visited for a few minutes and I gave her some background on my kids.  We even set up an appointment to see the cardiologist.  Soon, a man came out of the office.  It was the cardiologist!

He began asking questions about the kids and a history of what we have gone through.  We must have spent 45 minutes talking and laughing!  He was an awesome doctor!! I loved his personality, and sense of humor.

Half way through our visit, he did mention he had a partner who specialized in AV Malformations of the heart and lungs.  His practice is almost exclusively congenital heart defects and AVM's.   He is young and on fire when it comes to researching AVM's.   This cardiologist suggested we see his partner instead of him.  He felt it would be a better fit, plus, he is set to retire soon.

We finished our conversation with instructions from this doctor on what we needed to do next.  He said that 90% of the time, in AVM's of the lungs and heart, the liver has AMV's as well.  He said that liver screenings would need to take place, before we see the new cardiologist.

Having met with the nurse coordinator as well, we already that much ahead in the scheduling procedure and she knows all about our situation already.

It was so clear, as we stood there talking that this had been completely and totally orchestrated by God.  It was the most amazing feeling to see things work out so simple and easily, without any fretting and worry on my part!

Part 2 coming soon...



Popular posts from this blog

Some Results

I was surprised to get a brief update from our doctor this morning.

They did not catch any seizure activity last week.  She said that while that may be good news, it didn't rule out deep structure seizures.   I asked if the test gave any insight to the cause of the slowing of activity in her brain and these were her words.

" No, this does not give an answer ... But it is just one test, done one time ..."

We are still waiting on the MRI results.  I'm not losing hope.  I know, I play this game ALL THE TIME...I wish for problems that no one in their right mind would wish for.  I only do that because it's usually the option with a fix.  Of all the things they are considering to be an issue for Shelbie, seizures are the simplest explanation and medication would manage it.

I'm certain we aren't going to find a solution to her problems any time soon.  While I sat in the waiting room during her 2 hour MRI last Thursday, there was a couple in the room as well.  A…

Random Saturday

Whenever I feel like we are careening out of control, I declutter and clean.  By midnight on Friday, I had 1/3 of my living room filled with stuff I didn't want.  Today, I made a couple of trips to the thrift store and the dump.

Ahhh, I feel like I lost 20 pounds.

When Sam came home after his first week at school a while back, he said, "Wow, my room looks the same."

"What did you think your room would look like?"  I asked.


Turkey!  He came home this morning with his laundry and was a bit despaired.  He said, "Mom, you gotta help me with the smell in my apartment!  I can't stand it anymore! Do we have any Ozium?"

He went on to explain that there is no garbage disposal in the kitchen sink but food gets crammed down there anyways.  He said he keeps putting the little metal drains in that are meant to catch bits of food but his roommates take them out.  He's about fed up.  And while he was on his rant about boys and their leve…

A Witness

I was expecting just another run of the mill night at the gym last night.  The kind where the 'meat heads' stay at their end of the gym grunting and groaning to sound strong and I would claim a little corner in the room where the Yogi's hang out and Plank, and there I would Spin on a bike for a few miles, do some rowing, a little TRX and finish up with some free weights.

Last night though, I actually decided to do an easier workout and took an inclined walk on the treadmill.  There were no meat heads in far end of the gym.  No one really at the gym at all.  For the longest time, I kept pace with an old guy on a bike behind me.

But then, a man and his son came in.  I knew them.  I knew them well but they don't know just how well I know them.  They have a son who passed away from Cystic Fibrosis a little while ago, he would have been Spencer's age now.  They have a younger son who also has CF.  I knew his wife and mother in law back when my kids were being diagnosed.…